Aluminum threshold on cement floor

Page 2 of 3
On 12/25/2013 8:01 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I'm old enough to know what is a "bit brace". Don't have one, and not one with phillips tip. The drill driver on slow, bees wax, and new tip will maybe do.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/25/2013 09:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It does not actually have to be bees wax...and old candle or a bar of soap will do just fine.
On 12/25/2013 10:36 AM, philo wrote:

Aparently the bees wax "chap stick" might do the job. Looks like convenient size, too.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

like drywall screws - if they give AT ALL they snap. Not made to be used where any lateral stress/movement can occur.
On 12/24/2013 8:06 PM, The Streets wrote:

Have to see if I can find those. Wonder if they come in flat head? Don't want big cap heads, that will stick up over the surface of the threshold.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/24/2013 7:06 PM, The Streets wrote:

can be pushed out of the tube from one end. I keep a stick in the toolbox to lube all sorts of cutting tools, drills, self tapping screws and even drawer slides and sliding windows. You can find it or a similar product wherever cutting tools and drills bits are sold. ^_^
http://www.detroitbandsaw.com/catalog.asp?prodidi0709
http://preview.tinyurl.com/krx7dop
TDD

I've seen those wax sticks, but never quite connected in my mind. Sadly, as a Mormon, I've been smoking, off the side of a circle saw blade. So, the saw wax may get multiple uses, after I finish power screwing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Tapcons (brand of concrete screw) come in blue or black AFAIK. IMO, either is going to look crummy in a threshold; not only becuse of the color but because the head will stick up slightly unless you are able to perfectly countersink them, not always an easy task on thin aluminum.
Let me ask you, how was the threshold originally attached? I'd try to do it the same way. One way that is common is to lay down a piece of PT, tapcon it in and attach the threshold to it with smaller wood screws.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 12/25/2013 7:54 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Not totally sure, how the original fasten. I do see silver phillips flat head screws on the original side. Beyond that, not sure.
It's a back door of a store, no customers will see it, we hope.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

expansion (window and door mounting) urethane spray foam. It sticks like snot to anything and keeps the threshold from depressing/bouncing as a bonus.. If mounting a new aluminum threshold to concrete, just get urethane windsheild mounting compound and lay 2 beads on the (clean and dry) concrete, and drop the threshold in place. It is there "for the count".
On 12/24/2013 5:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I installed a lot of thresholds when I worked on automatic and commercial door systems. I used the blue plastic anchors because sooner or later some Goomba would come along and damage the threshold which required replacement. The plastic anchors could be dug out easily which is not the case with those that are glued in. If the screw in the plastic anchor was stuck, a flat bar can be hammered under the threshold to pry it up. Think forward. ^_^
TDD

The foam stuff sounded like a thing to try, if this doesn't do. Plenty more cement under the six inch by double 36 threshhold, if I have to put in more anchors. If these snap off, or some thing.
Hoping not many goombas, here.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/25/2013 3:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

automatic doors in hospitals, grocery stores and any place which used automatic doors. I had to service and repair not only the automatic doors but manual hollow aluminum and steel doors in commercial settings. I did it as an employee of an automatic door company and later as an independent contractor for a door company and directly for a grocery store chain. I actually traveled across Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana on service and installation jobs. I repaired and replaced a great many thresholds which often required using a thin layer of quick setting concrete and an angle grinder to level out the surface where the threshold was to be installed. Stainless steel screws worked the best with the plastic anchors which made service and repair a lot easier but some idiot would always use regular screws which always corroded and stuck requiring me to use the flat pry bar and hammer to remove the old threshold. ^_^
TDD

Yep, them goombas are every where. Sounds like great wisdom. I'm glad you cheated the grim reaper (for now) and still around to share your wisdom. How does Saint Peter secure the threshold for the Pearly Gates?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/27/2013 6:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't know because when I died in the ambulance, I seem to recall a lot of heat and very deep wicked sounding laughter. o_O
TDD

I guess you're the first honest AC guy to make it to the Pearly Gates?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/24/2013 06:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Plastic inserts and stainless steel screws are the only way to go.
If I caught someone using Tapcons on a door threshold, I'd go get my baseball bat and .... oh, never mind.
I find blowing through a fairly long straw the best way to clean dust out of a drilled hole in concrete. Just be prepared to protect your eyes as the dust really circulates everywhere if you blow vigorously enough to really clear the dust out of the hole.
On 12/26/2013 3:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

dust from going everywhere. Common sense always wins out. ^_^
TDD