Alkaline Battery Leakage: Dissolving?

Page 1 of 2
Got an LED flashlight where the batteries leaked and made the push-button switch on the end not work.
Just looking at it, I can see deposits from the leakage, but cannot get to them to physically clean them off.
Can anybody recommend something to splash on there to dissolve said deposits without messing things up more?
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, November 14, 2014 2:18:06 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

While not made for exactly this situation, Deoxit (the D5 spray) seems to do a pretty good job.
nate
On 11/14/2014 3:52 PM, N8N wrote:

(the D5 spray) seems to do a pretty good job.

We had this thread a couple months ago. I don't remember all the great ideas, but Caig Deoxit does sound familiar.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/14, 3:52 PM, N8N wrote:

It sounds as if the first step is to get rid of the potassium hydroxide. Deoxit D5 is 95% propellant and naphtha and 5% D100L, a trade secret. It doesn't sound good for removing potassium hydroxide.
I'd use vinegar. I don't know how long it would take. CLR is stronger. Then I'd rinse thoroughly.
When I had to dry a light where I couldn't get to the switch, I used rubbing alcohol to get most of the water out. I'd turn an oven on for a couple of minutes, turn it off, and check the temperature with an IR thermometer. I was looking for about 125F. I'd put the light in, go about my business, and come back to warm the oven again. In 24 hours the light was dry. Maybe an incandescent bulb would maintain a good drying temperature.
The D5 spray sounds like a good way to get D100L to an inaccessible switch.

You can get the d100 100 % solution. It's red. Don't know what's in it. The original red solution by cramolin had oleic acid in it. It cleans well. Caig did not make cramolin. They imported it. Electricall by caig had a 10 % solution, no longer available. The caig 100 % solution in the dispenser works pretty well compared to the sprays.
You can also clean with oleic acid. Olive oil has oleic acid. You can also use that, but must be removed prior to using. Some use oleic acid and naphtha. I would use alcohol instead.

Guess what. I did cleaner testing over 10 years ago. I never made a video back then. I tested several sprays and stuff. As I indicated, some stuff is best dissolved with water. Here, a guy tested three things, similar to the test I did. I'll post my test later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg6FmNTNv98

Greg

Me.
http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/cleaner.htm
Greg
On 11/15/14, 3:21 AM, gregz wrote:

It seems like three kinds of cleaners. One has solvents that don't affect metals or plastics and leave no residue. Another has solvents and leaves a film. A third would brighten tarnished copper.
I've read that when power companies connect transmission lines, they don't care if the copper is dull with copper oxide. Dull copper doesn't solder well, but does it add significant resistance to contacts?

Connections usually involve breaking through the surface. Lubricants help break through the surface scum. High current arching also break through, but seem problematic being intermittent.
Greg
On Friday, November 14, 2014 10:46:27 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:

to do a pretty good job.

h.
I can't explain it but it works. Better than plain old water.
If I'd had something like Electromotive handy last time I had to do this I probably would have tried that first, then finished with Deoxit for protect ion.
May I suggest some nice Eneloops (Duracell Ion Core are supposedly rebrands ) for a regularly used light, or some Energizer lithium primaries for an em ergency light? That's what I've gone to due to my own disgust with the see ming increased frequency of alkalines leaking.
nate
On 11/15/14, 8:46 AM, N8N wrote:

The contact cleaners I've used are solvents that leave no residue. It seems as if cleaners that leave a film, should have another name.
It seems the users who recommend Deoxit at Amazon, use it for potentiometers. I've always found that the no-residue kind works fine for potentiometers.
The NiCad battery pack had leaked KOH into my Isotip. Warm water cleaned up the deposits.
The copper is stained. In this circuit, 0.05 ohm where it makes contact would be too much. Sometimes corroded contacts that are cleaned up, won't work reliably in the future.
I wonder if Deoxit would make sure the stained copper in my Isotip would continue to make good contact.
I have a cordless phone with a headset. If I leave it plugged in a couple of days, the incoming and outgoing sound gets scratchy. If I wipe the plug on my shirt, that fixes it. I wonder if Deoxit would prevent that problem.
On 11/14/2014 10:17 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Use a solution of one teaspoon of baking soda and one cup of water. Also good to clean car battery terminals.
Hopefully the metal parts underneath are not corroded beyond use.
Tim Sprout
On 11/14/2014 5:07 PM, Tim Sprout wrote:

Why would you use bicarbonate to remove an alkaline?
I'd have expected acid such as vinegar or CLR?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2014 1:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Battery corrosion is acid buildup.
Tim Sprout
On 11/14/2014 5:14 PM, Tim Sprout wrote:

What kind of flash light batteries have acid? Certainly, not Duracell or Energizer Alkalines?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2014 5:14 PM, Tim Sprout wrote:

How does one get acid buildup out of alkaline batteries?
On 11/14/2014 1:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One doesn't. Thanks for the correction.
Tim Sprout
On 11/14/2014 2:17 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Pete, what kind of batteries are these?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2014 5:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Please forgive my brain failure. Alkaline battery leakage. Sorry.
Anyhow, I've heard that Caig Deoxit does OK for this task.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Can't swear to it, but my guess would be Mallory Duracells - which I used to use exclusively until losing a few gadgets to them.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/14/2014 8:26 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I had some how not noticed you wrote alkalines. Wasn't sure if they were carbon zincs, lithium, etc.
Anyhow, yes, I've also had Duracells leak, and Rayovacs. Not sure why they are having quality problems.
I hope you get your light working again.