Air lock.

I believe I have an air lock in a cold water pipe supplying a toilet in the basement. After the toilet is flushed there is one bang in the pipes as the cistern refills.
What should I do to prevent or correct this air lock?
Many thanks,
Peter.

Read here Pete http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infwatham.html
You could do as they suggest or buy a special fitting for the problem
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html most hardware stores have them
Has it always done this or is it recent?
The usual reasons for pipes banging are:
Water saturated anti-hammer device. This more likely if it use to be OK and now is causing problems, maybe getting worse. If this is the problem, you can drain that pipe and air will refill the device.
Lack of a anti-hammer device. These devices may be nothing more than a dead end pipe filled with air in the wall. It absorbs the shock of the water headed to the now closed valve. After a while the simple ones get water logged as the air is absorbed by the water and water fills the space. The better commercial devices have a separation so the air can't be lost.
The valve that is shutting off may be doing it too quickly and it may need to be adjusted or replaced.
High water pressure can also cause additional problems. If you have a pressure reduction valve it may need service or adjustment or you may need one of you don't.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I installed a half bath in the basement. Sometime after installation I noticed the water hammer effect. I don't know how long a gap but less than two months.
If I install an anti hammer device does it have to be installed vertically? Space considerations indicate an install 45 deg from vertical.
Many thanks for your help, also to Limp Arbor.
Peter.

I would think that 45 should work unless it was very short.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit