air conditioning filter

I am a newbie to air conditioning. What is the use of the filter installed in the device ? Could I just remove the filter for good and not to use it ? I have heard that filter can cause severe health problems if not thoroughly cleaned every two weeks.

Reply to
mm

The filter traps all the dust and gunk in the air and keeps your coil clean. Over time it can build up dust mites or whatever. If you remove them, your coil will eventually clog, be even more unhealthy, and the AC will not cool properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do I need to replace the filter or wash ? How ? How often ?

We had in July temperatures here in Poland coming to 30 degrees celsius and I am thinking about buying the device for next year. Split "Akai" AC costs about 260 USD. I am an owner-occupier of a small flat living in a block of flats and the building law does not allow to install noisy devices such as AC without a permit.

Reply to
mm

As one poster pointed out, the filter traps dust and lint. I have a dog that sheds a LOT. Amazing how much dog hair goes in the filter.

I have used the disposable filters, but really like the washable kind. I also spritz them with a soluable oil for air filters, which picks up more stuff. I simply either hose them down outside, or in the shower.

I clean the filters once a month, though it a;ppears that once every two months would suffice. If you can't buy a ready-made washable filter, any good HVAC place can fabricate you one to the specific size. Mine cost $10, which is quite cheap enough.

I have also see electrostatic filters (had one of those, but a PITA to clean) that have a water system for cleaning. Mine didn't have that, so can't speak to that issue.

The alternative is to buy the disposable ones. Get them in quantity and get a better price. When I had that kind in a house, I changed them about every 3 months. You could hear the fan labor when the filter got clogged, and the chief domestic engineer complained about the house getting dusty. Same with the electrstatic filter, which had a mesh screen backup filter.

Your milage will vary, depending on how dusty your environment is, how many pets you have, etc., etc.

I think people make much to big a thing about it. Guess what... they are selling expensive air "purifiers," and filter systems... Just my 2 cents..

Reply to
professorpaul

Foam mesh filters can be washed in hot soapy water. Just shake the water off and put it back in, no need to dry it completely. I'd do it every few weeks, but it will vary depending on how clean your air is and how often the unit runs.

I wish out July temperates were only 30C. We were at 38 to 39 C here in the northeast US

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well if you just remove it, then the gunk that it would normally trap will be sent back into the room and or onto the internal parts of the A/C causing far more health issues.

Unless you have some unusual, health problems it sounds like what you have been told is way overboard. If you have a question about your health needs ask your doctor.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The filter removes dust from the intake, protects the blower, helps keep ductwork clean, reduces the frequency of dusting, reduces floating particles in the air before it reaches your nose. Clean it or replace it every month.

Reply to
Phisherman