Air conditioning? ? ?

I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first time since last summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work -- just no cooling.
This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing since then.
What should I expect in the way of repair?

Could be cheap, could be expensive. I can't see it from here.
You need to call a licensed, competent service tech out.
Let me ask you this. How often do you have to oil changed in you cars? Your HVAC system is the single most expensive system in your house. Do you care for it?
I don't really know how to care for it. I recently had the gas furnace serviced, but have never had the AC serviced -- didn't seem to need it. No one ever told me to.
Now I may pay for my neglect.

last
you
I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but did you read the instructions that came with it?
If I were in you shoes, ask the tech if you can look over his/her shoulder. (I invite people to) Ask them simple questions that don't require a lot of explanation. "Can I do that in the future?" "How often does this task need to be done?" What's the best way to do that?" Questions like that are the way you learn. You may possibly get a tech that doesn't want you 'puppy dogging' them, but the chances are slim.
Good luck.

shoulder.
of
need
the
i would say, the average homeowner shouldn't have to worry about HVAC maintenance, just use common sense to keep it from being damaged. I wouldn't recommend oiling or recharging the system by a homeowner. or even testing/replacing electrical components.
the best customers are the ones that try to fix or maintain appliances themselves and screw it up. it's called job security... hehe
if cars where well maintained, it would suck to be an automechanic...
-a|ex
Ray Jenkins wrote:

You're going to need to carry your webcam around and hold it next to everything, so we can have a closer look!
Sheeeesh.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

This is Turtle.
I can't see it from here.
If it is a Goodman / GMC / Janitrol there is only about 3 things that do this on the 1996 models. If it is other brands disreguard what I say.
Bad Capasitor Evaperator coil leak all the freon out. Compressor locked up.
TURTLE
P.S. The 1996 models of Goodman was not a good year.
Well, we definitely don't have enough information. But AC systems shold have annual clean and check. Sounds like you should take some of the money you saved and.... call the man, Aunt Bee!
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus