Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine "popped"

Page 4 of 4
On Thu, 26 May 2016 16:02:12 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

I put the board in the washing machine, and it worked. Here is the summary for the next person.
1. A power outage can fry your washing machine. 2. If you get a Whirlpool F28 communications error (same as Kenmore F11 I'm told), then 99% of the time is is a fried Motor Control Board (I'm told). 3. Remove the back plate of the washing machine & the lower brace to expose the motor control board 4. Remove the upper cover of the washing machine to expose the main computer board. 5. Look around. Blue wires are critical. So check the blue wires from the CCU to the MCU. Otherwise, remove the motor control board and check for burn marks.
If you see evidence of damage on the motor control board, just go buy a new one for around $200 at a local appliance store. (Whirlpool factory prices area about $320 and Ebay is as low as $50 but you have to be confident of the supplier).
Danny DiAmico posted for all of us...

What kind of detergent did you use?
--
Tekkie

On Thu, 26 May 2016 10:15:34 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
The good news is that the rebuilt Whirlpool motor control board from circuit board medics worked fine.
So all that matters now is the lesson learned for others.
Total cost was $165 + about $20 (I forget exactly how much shipping was) and the turnaround time was atrocious but that's partly my fault since I was unsure of how to proceed. Normal turnaround time should be four to five days to get there, a day or two to test & rebuild, and then four or five days to get back (it was from California to North Carolina and I didn't pay the $40 for two-day shipping by Fedex).
A brand new board at a local appliance store would be $191 + about 10% tax with a turnaround time of 1 day (let's double that, to two days or three days to be safe).
Seems like a no brainer, in hindsight. The one thing is that the circuit board medics did test the computer control board in addition to the motor control board, so, in essence, we have to factor in that costs somewhere.
The DIAGNOSTIC lesson learned is pretty simple, but it's only something that is learned from experience (which the circuit board medics did have).
If a Whirlpool duet Sport has an F28 (or F11 on Kenmore models), then almost certainly it's the Motor Control Board, so, the FIRST THING you should do for diagnostics is simply remove the back washer plate, remove the lower brace, and remove the motor control board.
You *will* break every one of the four of five cheap plastic tie-wrap butterfly anchors. I simply duct taped the new wires back in place but a more elegant solution would have been to purchase a few of those anchor clips.
Once you remove the motor control board, you will see black spots, which is your confirmation of failure.
In the end, that is the simplest advice for an F28 (or F11) communications error. The advice only works because the circuit board medics said an F28 communications error is 99% of the time the motor control board (or the blue wires going to it fell off).
The rebuilt motor control board is still working great. So, the solution when you have the F28 communications error is to check the blue wires between the computer control unit and the motor control unit and to check the motor control unit for black burnt spots.