advice on replacing window trim???

I just installed 3 replacement windows. 53" x 41' double hung Pella from Lowes..

I've trimmed back the siding to 3" from the edge of the new windows. I now plan on cutting some pine to 2 7/8" wide, priming it and framing around the outside of the windows.

2 question:

1 - should the trim be 3" all the way around? The original window had a thick wooden sill with no trim on the bottom. the new Pella windows have an aluminum sill, very thin sill sloping to the outside. looks like I should put some kind of trim under it.

2 - Should the vertical trim extend 3" above and below the window and the horizontal trim will be the same width as the window? Or go the other way with the horizontal trim extending 3" beyond the sides and the vertical trim is the same height as the window???

I'm leaning towards ripping a 2x4 to about 2" x 1.5" with the top angled to match the slope of the sill. it will fit under the windows sill and be thicker than the side and top trim. It will extend 3" out past the window on each side. this will add alittle "meat" to the thin window sill. the pine top trim will also extend to the same width as the bottom sill and the vertical trim will fit in between. (the same height as the windows.

This seems to match some of the wide variety of trims I've noticed on houses while driving around...

Any suggestions, opinions on the "proper" way to frame the outside of these windows would be greatly appreciated.. I live in New England and I have to get the outside sealed up before the really cold weather sets in..

TIA

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

This sounds like a personal preference. Did you cut the siding back at the bottom yet? what type of siding do you have?? You might get by with different size piece at the bottom expecially if it enables you to avoid cutting the siding.

Since you are using a butt joint you would have the vertical trim capped by the horizonal. This minimizes the amount of end grain exposed to the elements.

Your ideas sound like good ones and it may only be a matter of personal preference. You could pick a style that is easy to install (butt joint). Or, you could look at the treatment on other houses in your area and copy them. In most cases people want to match the trim on the remainder of their windows.

Reply to
Lawrence

Make sure you install proper flashing at the top, so no water, even behind the siding, can get into the structure.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Yes Bob, I plan on flashing above the top trim slid under the siding above so any water will be directed over the top and down the front of the top piece of trim.

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Ideally, you actually want to flash under the tarpaper or other barrier behind the siding, so that water on that barrier gets directed out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You are correct. Actually the siding on that side of the house is going to be replaced.. I dont know what its called. its a pressed masonite like board that crumbles apart as it wears. All around the windows and in other areas its in bad shape. Not sure what to do, I dont care for the look of vinyl sidings. I like real wood other than the maintenance... Figured I'd get the windows in myself and in the spring have someone do the siding.

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Why not wait to install the trim until after the siding goes on. You choice of siding could affect the trim you will use and the way it is installed.

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
comcastss news groups