Replacing exterior window trim -- how expensive, who to call?

We recently signed a contract on a 20 year old townhome in Laurel, MD. On our real estate agent's advice, we waived the home inspection contingency, but had an inspection performed anyway. The inspector noted that the wood exterior window sills were rotting and should be replaced. The rest of the house is clad in aluminum siding. Has anyone in this group had experience replacing exterior window trim? How much did it cost you? How many windows had to be replaced? I would like to prepare myself for any possible sticker shock when we have to pay to get this done. Can anyone tell me who I should call to have this done? A carpenter? A handyman?

Reply to
C. S.

Not much to go on from what you've described. I'm picturing a flat trim, perhaps 1x3" in size. If it's rotting, either it of the siding wasn't installed correctly in the 1st place, and you won't know the total extent of the damage until you start pulling the old trim off.

A carpenter, or window company would be your best bet. Ask around the other homes and see if any neighbors with similar trim/siding have had the work done already. If so, and they are happy with the results, see if you can get a price from the same company. At any rate, get at least 3 estimates, and make sure they don't include any unreasonable loop-holes in their terms. I.E. if there is a lot of rot, they should be able to get an idea what's hidden if they have any experience at all. Don't let them get away with giving you a price for only the trim, and leave it open to a large extra charge if they find more work below!

Reply to
mwlogs

I would suggest a serious carpenter. Window sills are an important item - part of a system of flashing at windows that keeps water out of the rest of the wall. You want someone with experience and skill to remove the damaged parts and make sure the flashing is not damaged in the repairs. Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker