Adventures in (commercial) drywall

Firewall. 2 layers of 5/8 (x2, both sides), offset seams, to be "firecaulked" (at $15/12 oz. tube).

I told these idiots (oh, yeah, we can hang rock, can o' corn!) to plumb their first sheet (of the second layer) or they were going to run into problems. As you can see they ended up shaving finished edges in order to hit studs. No sweat, I don't have to finish that side.

For some reason these "experts" declined to finish out the tops of these 12' walls. That truss is about 3" out from the wall.

I doubt you're ever safer from fire than when in a modern commercial building. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Drywall courtesy of Jon Voight as the Drywall Cowboy. ;)

The suspended ceiling has a fire rating, no? That probably accounts for the double layer only to the ceiling line.

RicodJour

I don't get what you're saying..Do you mean they should have covered the truss with sheetrock ??? Steele trusses , beams , ect. are usually sprayed with fire proofing not sheetrocked.... The wall looks fine to me..Atleast from what I can tell from the pics....Even if you plumb your first sheet you STILL end up shaving a sheet once in a while ESPECIALLY on long runs..A TINY mistake can become an inch over 20 feet so you just adjust as you go by shaving a sheet here and there...No framing is EXACTLY perfect....Not even yours...Also , not every sheet might be tight together...Drywall is NOT finish carpentry.....In case you didn't notice they don't use giant chop saws or table saws to cut it.....LOL....Did it pass inspection by the CEO ????

Reply to
benick

Two hour will require fire tape. Why did someone run the ceiling grid ahead of the tape and bed/ texture/paint?

Reply to
DanG

Another job without a competent superintendent, huh?

Reply to
DanG

Gee, Dan, I thought you knew this stuff. They did it because the job was what they call a "fast track" job. That's where they let a sub go so fast that they lose track of the order of things. ;)

RicodJour

Look at the last picture- this is remodel work, splitting up old space.

As to the other question- I don't know if code requires the second layer of drywall in a firewall above the drop ceiling, but as flimsy as most grid ceilings are, it should. A little tremor or a roof leak, and half the tiles fall down. Important question is, did the inspector and the insurance company sign off on the work as-is?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The wall looks like it's fine to me.It looks flat all the way to the floor pan as required by code..It needs to be taped or caulked with fireproofing caulk..I think the OP is concerned about the truss not being covered with sheetrock which I already explained gets sprayed with fire proofing if code requires it NOT sheetrock...It is required here in Maine NOW except for older grandfathered buildings untill major renovation then the clause is lost and the all the structual steele must be fireproofed..The ceiling tiles are not already up...Look close at the pic...You can clearly see wires hanging down...The first couple of rows of tile are down to build the wall..Seen it MANY times....Just hard to see in that one pic.... It would be nice for the OP would chime in with EXACTLY what he is bitching about...LOL...

Reply to
benick