ac noise

got a new carrier central ac ,when I am outside I notice a slight clunking sound when it first starts up,also when it turns off,should I be concerned ?
On 7/6/2012 9:14 AM, pacca wrote:

If you have any metal duct work, it could simply be a shift in a metal panel due to a change in air pressure. ^_^
TDD
On 7/6/2012 9:14 AM, pacca wrote:

Probably not; it's likely just the motor contacts closing/opening you're hearing. But, if it's a new installation call and ask...

Since it's new, call the installer/service provider.
Tell them that you have a concern and that you'd like it checked out before something goes bad.
The call should be covered under the warranty. At a minimum you'll have your concern documented in case it gets worse later.
Since most of us have a hard time hearing "clunking sounds" over the internet, and your idea of "slight" might be very different from ours, I suggest that you get a professional to come listen to it.
On Friday, July 6, 2012 7:14:55 AM UTC-7, pacca wrote:

Fan blade hitting the side.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/ac-noise-703485-.htm DA wrote: pacca wrote:

A *slight* clunking noise on startup and shutdown must be the low voltage holding coil in the contactor doing its job - nothing to worry about. Two pieces of metal clasp together by an electromagnet, as they were designed to do, and make that sound.

What he said seems most probable.
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:57:25 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

yOU HAVE all MISSED IT. tHE COMPRESSOR UNIT IS RUBBER MOUNTED, AND THE STARTUP TORQUE MAKES IT JUMP IN THE RUBBER MOUNT - MAKING A "CLUNK" - AND WHSN IR SHUTS DOWN ALL THE ROTATING MASS STOPS AT ONCE AGAINST PRESSURE, MAKING IT ROCK IN THE MOUNTS AGAIN - CAUSING A "CLUNK". nOT AT ALL OUT OF THE ORDINARY - PARTICULARLY WITH THE NEW SCROLL COMPRESSORS.
Excuse the mixed caps - I hit the shift lock instead of the shift and I',m too lazy to retype it all.