AC broken!

Page 1 of 2
My AC is broken, as the temperature rise above the threshold I can hear the click and the AC unit starts to have a small hum and also the water dripping and static noises but no air blowing.
Does it sound like something common or I need a pro to diagnose? I think I need a pro but no one on Sunday so have to wait till next week, but if anyone has some idea of simple things to check would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
MC
Add pictures here
✖
kust a shot, put the fan to run position. spin the fan blower by hand to get it started. if it starts you can run with it on all the time till you get capacitor changed. just set ac to auto ,fan on run.
✖
On Apr 27, 12:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

how could water be dripping if the blower isnt moving air over the coil.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Yes, if you get a hum and water i.e. condensation dripping the compressor and refrigerant are probably ok. Don't let it run like that since it will eventually freeze up without airflow. If it's just the fan that's not working it should be fairly easy to fix. BTW, it would help to specify if this is a window unit vs. central since that makes some difference in the diagnosis.
Add pictures here
✖

It's central air. Fan is not working I manually switched fan from "Auto" to "On" and nothing.
Thanks,
MC
Add pictures here
✖
MiamiCuse wrote:

That changes the prognosis quite a bit since unlike a window unit, the inside and outside unit fans for central are of course separate. Is it the inside fan only that is not working, and the outside fan is ok? If it's just the inside air handler that isn't running, it could be as simple as a tripped or shut off circuit breaker, since the inside and outside units are typically on different circuits.
Add pictures here
✖

I checked the breakers and no problem. Finally called an AC guy and diagnosed to be a dead capacitor. Now it's working, after $185.00.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:19:40 -0400, "MiamiCuse"

In Miami; you saved money.
Add pictures here
✖
MiamiCuse wrote:

Hi, Most common problem. Often you can visually point to a bad. There two, for starting and run for the motor. Some times there are two separte ones or two in one can. Capacitor is not that expensive. If you can match exact parts for caps, always use higher value one.
Add pictures here
✖
For central AC, the ones I've serviced, there are three capacitors. Not "starting and run for the motor" either. I think you're thinking of refrigerator compressors, which have a start and run winding. Tony isn't making much sense.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If you are knowledgable enough about electrical stuff to be safe, you can try checking the contactors that control the fans. You have two fans: one for the outside condensor and one for the inside evaporator (this one moves the air in the house).
In my AC, the contactors are easily accessible on the outside unit. If the coil fails, the contactor won't pull closed. If the contacts themselves are bad, they close but the fan doesn't operate.
If the outside unit hums, but the fans aren't turning, I have been advised that you don't want to let this happen very long, or the compressor fails and your repair just got a lot bigger. It has to do with high pressures in the refrigerant lines.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks. I am not too comfortable with things electrical, guess I will get a pro here in the morning.
Add pictures here
✖
MiamiCuse wrote:

What did they find? Was it a defective blower motor?
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Mine..on different thread..was a dead START CAPACITOR.
I got the BEST INTERNET ADVICE I' VE EVER SEEN at www.allexperts.com
I can't say how well these guys do over there. Asking here is OK but of course, we aren't all EXPERTS. The guy there sent me info and diagrams(websites) that walked me right thru it. A local "air" guy had come by and said it was probably the motor (part, no labor $ 185.00) I went and bought the appropriate capacitor ( $ 2.57 !! ) Yes.. TWO DOLLARS. The original one was Made in the USA (1990) but since the new one was Made in China, I got TWO for $ 5.00. It took me about half an hour to remove the old one, plug in the new one and away it went..Fixed for $ 5.00 R
Add pictures here
✖

Well I wan't as lucky as you but I got something good out of it. One of the HUD Wrecks I had a few years ago had the blower go out in a split heat pump. Same thing. Humm from the motor in the air handler. Had used this company before. Described problem and that it didn't work on cool, heat or air. Gave him all the equipment info on phone.
He comes by and says if I'm lucky it's just the start cap and that's maybe 15 bucks plus 75 trip charge. NG :-( Had to put blower motor in. 200 parts, labor and trip charge. Brought proper cap and motor since I gave him equipment info beforehand.
So what did I get good? An honest troubleshooting. He told me about it and tried the cap first. That's worth something. That's why he's the one putting the new HVAC system in this HUD wreck in a couple of weeks.
Add pictures here
✖

Was a bad capacity. Paid $185.00 for a 30 minute visit.
Add pictures here
✖
Wow, I don't charge enough money. Thanks for the field report.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Geesh! What was the cost for the trip charge? Where are you located? Of course, I could guess Miami.
Add pictures here
✖

Thats CAPACITOR...too bad, I fixed (replaced) mine in half an hour..the part was $ 2.57
Add pictures here
✖