Battery back up sump pump question

Hello, I have a Wayne battery back up sump pump model ESP15 and it eats up a brand new deep cycle marine battery about every 1 - 2 years whether it gets used or not. I think it is because the AC charger is always plugged in and over time will "cook" the battery to death. Has anyone else had this experience with this pump? What type of battery is best to use in this location? Would one of the new "dry" cell batteries work better? Would it be better to charge the battery to full condition and then unplug the charger and check for charge condition every week or so and charge as needed? Thanks for any suggestions! Steve

Reply to
Steve

A couple, many others or variations of the above are possible.

Ideally, get a charger that is sensitive to battery state so doesn't charge except when required.

Alternatively, your solution helps albeit w/ some "bother factor". A timer could reduce that some.

I'd also recommend using the pump on some periodic frequency both as a test of the pump's availability if/when required and the cycling of the battery will help its condition as well.

Alternatively, consider the venturi-style water-driven backup if it's an emergency-only situation and could ditch the battery altogether.

--

Reply to
dpb

If you are on city water look into a pump from Zoellar it runs off of city water and pumps one gallon for every gallon it uses from the city. No moving parts and just sits there waiting to be used. Saved my butt two times. It's basicly a foot valve from a water system with reverse sensing (turns on when water is high enough to float it's weighted float).

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I am on a well system so not sure if that would help me or not?? However, I will look up info on that pump. This must be what "dpb" suggests also?

I may have caused myself some of the problem as I have not been 'testing" the pump as much as I should have been and thus not discharging the battery every so often. I am planning to buy my 3rd battery in about 5 - 6 years so just wondering if I should get a really good one with lots of reserve time (200 minutes) or a middle of the road battery (140 - 160 minutes)?? I will put on the calander each month a day that will be to run down the battery. I have always used the plug in low voltage charger that came with the pump. Maybe there is something better?? Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Zoeller and basepump make water powered pumps, if he has city water, they outpump battery pumps.

Reply to
ransley

I just looked up Zoeller pumps and they have a battery back up pump with a Quoted "Unlike a car or marine battery, the battery supplied as part of the UltraSump backup sump pump system is specially engineered to withstand long periods of remaining unused. So if you're considering an alternate system, be sure that the battery connected to your sump pump system is not simply a car or marine battery." Could this battery be the "dry cell" type???

Thanks again! Steve

Reply to
Steve

..

it could be overcharging or undercharging it should charge to 13.3 or so and go to maybe 12.6, lower than that it will sulfate, unused it should last maybe 30 years or more. Probably a bad charger.

Reply to
ransley

it could be overcharging or undercharging it should charge to 13.3 or so and go to maybe 12.6, lower than that it will sulfate, unused it should last maybe 30 years or more. Probably a bad charger.

If it is overcharging, the OP could put it on a timer to only charge an hour a day. Bypass the charger for a day after significant use.

Reply to
Bob F

m...

No he needs a good smart charger, and to test volts himself, no need to guess on it, 1 hr could be too much.

Reply to
ransley

if the home is higher than the street run a underground line to daylight.

gravity is highly reliable and it will end your flood concerns:)

amazing how many people have sump pumps and homes sit above grade......

easy fix no more batteries needed

or if elevation is marginal you can run a sump overfill spill line to somewhere convenient

Reply to
hallerb

com...

Have any of you had any experience with "Optima" brand batteries? They supposedly are 3X longer lasting than regular lead acid batteries and can hold a full charge for months if not used. They are totally sealed batteries except for an overpressure safety vent. Probably what Zoeller uses in their battery back up system although they don't specifically say so??

Reply to
Steve

Yes my house is higher than the surrounding area --- but my basement, where the sump pump is, sits in a big hole.

Gravity is highly reliable to bring ground water into my basment and cause a flood.

My next house will not have a basement, nor will it need to have a sump pump because it will sit above grade.

Yea right!

There's nothing lower around here except my neighbors basement. Not very convenient.

Thanks for a good laugh though! :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Doesn't mean where the sump pump is, is above grade.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Look for a charging system that shuts itself off untill a predetermined voltage is reached before recharging. There are also charging systems that will "cycle" the battery down to a low voltage on a regular basis to exercise the battery a bit.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread