Aargh! Please, Need help with Bookcase

Page 1 of 2
All ideas and humor welcome.
While this is a serious topic, I could use some humor too. The good news is I got married. The bad news is my wife is emotionally attached to a stackable wooden bookcase with glass folding doors for each shelf that is an unusual size.
The inside measurement of each shelf is 7 1/2" deep by 11 1/4" tall. Since a standard sheet of paper is wider than the bookshelf is deep, I am perplexed on how to use it to store all her abbundance of papers. I thoght of removing the back, but since each shelf lifts of as an individual unit and has one glass door per shelf, removing the back would destroy its structural integrity. I can't get rid of it and stay happily married. And I am now drowning in her papers. I thought of scanning some of her many sheets to computer, but she insists on keeping her "hard copies" to have for future meetings, etc. I know she could find and print the document at the time, but she refuses to do that. Short of using the bookcase for firewood this winter, what are my options. Am I missing some obvious way to store binders in this bookshelf and still be able to find the right info when needed in a reasonable manner?
Desperate and buried in loose papers. Thanks in advance.

store knickknacks in the bookshelf. buy a filing cabinet and stuff it in the back of the closet.
She has already filled all closets with her clothes and "crafting" supplies. It is too cold here for me to sleep outside in the winter.

So what do you get in the deal? - The Garage? I hope you guys share 50/50.
Duh, if the papers don't fit then don't put them in there.
How often do these papers need to be accessed? Get a storage unit and put all the redundant stuff (including the papers) in there. Once she gets tired of paying the bill, maybe the papers will seem less worthy. If these papers are so darn important to her business, then she should be responsible for them and accept paying a little cash to see them cared for without compromising your lifestyle by making you live in a cluttered house.
The bookcase is not the issue it seems, you should keep it and put something that fits in there. You can't just print off another bookcase but the papers.......................

Oh yeah, you can also write off the cost of the storage unit if it's main purpose is to store business related items.
message

Buy a file cabinet and use the bookcase for a display case. Is it one of those that comes apart into sections? If so, do you have the bottom section with the legs?
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

mind right now; it's title "What I did for love"
It occurs to me that letter-sized papers would fit standing up facing forward, but they couldn't be in much of a binder. Or one could get some sort of 'holder' that would allow them to be filled as one can in a vertical file, i.e. facing front.
But...she says...what did your wife use it for previously and why not continue to use it for the same?
--

Rex\'s Mom

It was sitting empty in her apartment, needing some repair. I repaired & refinished it for her because she said that is what she wanted to store papers and binders in -- silly me didn't measure 1st. I like your idea of putting something in sideways -- Now I just have to design something or come up with a store that sells something for the application. Why a manufacturer ever made bookcases this size is beyond me, the bookcase appears to be made in the 1930s or 1940s per engraving on the back. Nice bookcase, but not very functional at the moment. Respectfully, Andy P.s. So where do I go to find the text of that song?

I have some cardboard boxes that can fit sideways on the shelves. The boxes are standard letter size, are open at the top, and half-open on the side. They are about 4-5" deep, so would be perfect for your situation. I think I got them at Ikea. The advantage of these is that you can put loose leaf letter-sized paper in them, and the box holds them up quite nicely. You can even put a label on the side to remind you of what's in them.

(about a years worth of monthly magazines i guess.)
good luck!
--
be safe.
flip
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

as others have noted, they are called barrister bookcases and law related books might be a more suitable size. It would be ideal, btw, for knicknacks as it cuts down on the dusting enormously.
It would also work brilliantly for paperbacks!

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/achorusline/whatididforlove.htm
(it was a simple Google!)
While I disagree with much of what Red Cloud said about marriage, he does have a point about compromise and discussion.
Best of luck.
Rex's Mom

--

Rex\'s Mom

I would be extremely and sincerely interested in what and why you disagree with in my advice. This is very "on-topic" for this group, since the name is "alt. home.repair", and not "alt.house.repair"
rusty redcloud

What you have there is called a "barristers cabinet". It was originally intended for a lawyer to keep his law books. They make pretty good curio cabinets. They are not intended to be used as filing cabinets, and it is a losing battle to try and make it into one.
This is a FABULOUS opportunity for the two of you to do some reading and conversing on the subject of how to resolve conflicts. If you can't get past this fairly minor problem, you really need to consider going for counseling. That is not a bad thing. Nobody is born knowing how to be married, and some good professional coaching NOW could make both of your lives better from this point onward. A lot better. Learn how to get what you BOTH want. It ain't easy, but it can be done with some sincere effort.
One secret of a happy marriage: Learn to pick your battles VERY CAREFULLY! Don't be a doormat, but don't be a beligerent fool when avoidable, either.
Wishing you the best, rusty redcloud
Red Cloud wrote:

I think they were designed to hold folded court papers (summonses, etc.). Letter size folded into thirds, legal folded twice, then sitting in a box ~ 9" tall.

Very bad advice. One need only master two phrases to be a hero to the little lady:
1. "Yes, dear." 2. "Tell me more."

That doesn't sound anything at all like a happy (or healthy) marriage!
rusty redcloud

Generalizing about what makes a good marrage leads nowhere. There are just too many personalities and cultures to draw any one conclusion. Ideally, I prefer an equal partnership but some people are perfectly happy not being in charge. To each his own and good for them.

You could not be more wrong.
rusty redcloud

Shove everything in at an angle, like this top view:
Note that the 'V' and the 'A's are blocks of wood.
Guy,
This product will do the job
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=0&storeId 001&catalogId051&langId=-1&productId979
as will this product
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=0&storeId 001&catalogId051&langId=-1&productIdP905
I suspect that as trip to any office supply store will produce other solutions.
Dave M.
I have something like this http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=0&storeId 001&catalogId051&langId=-1&productId176 in smoked plastic. I'm not sure where it came from, but it holds a lot of paper. This one looks nice, too.