A water heater question

Page 1 of 2
I know this question has probably been hashed and re-hashed a few times. But i don't remember seeing it recently. Suppose you want to use TWO water heaters to try and keep up with a house full of shower loving girls. Would having them in parallel or series (plumbing wise) be the best way? I can see where there could be advantages both ways.
steve barker

At a time like this where we are being exhorted to save energy, shame on you for even thinking about wasting still more. Take command of the situation and replace and downsize your present water heater for the bath only and set the temp control to 120 degrees. Then plumb the original water heater exclusively to laundry and kitchen. It will soon be obvious to the sauna lovers that the there is a limited supply. After a few weeks there will be some habits change. Been there, done that, raised five daughters. Good luck and be a diplomat.
Joe
wrote: Suppose you want to use TWO water

Take command of the situation and replace and downsize your present water heater for the bath only and set the temp control to 120 degrees. Then plumb the original water heater exclusively to laundry and kitchen. It will soon be obvious to the sauna lovers that the there is a limited supply. After a few weeks there will be some habits change. Been there, done that, raised five daughters. Good luck and be a diplomat.
Joe
You have some good points. My daughter took incredibly long showers but I'd turn off the hot water after 15 minutes, then 10 minutes. She eventually found out that you don't need such a long and costly shower. It was not just the cost, but the time while others waited to shower too.

Ever head of legionaire's disease? Better set the WH to at least 130F.
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

We have some larger buildings rented as student housing. Basically they were originally mansions, and they have 7-14 students living in them (3 buildings, different sizes). We like the idea of using pairs of water heaters in parallel to serve the buildings. In addition, we have extra plumbing and valves which allow us to isolate either heater in the event of a problem. This gives us a redundancy and limited hot water in the event of a failure. We could also run the house off one heater at a time, like in summer, when there are only a few students living in each building.
We had thought that running them in series would be a good idea, where one acts as a pre-heater for the other, but this doesn't really increase the capacity very much, but should boost the recovery rate quite a bit.
JK
Thanks for the reply.
steve

Here's a couple links that discuss both methods:
http://www.texasinspector.com/Water%20Heater%20Plumbing.pdf
http://www.contractormag.com/articles/column.cfm?columnid &0

THANKS!

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:08:05 -0600, "S. Barker"

Try this......it may be enormously less expensive. 1) Install a whole house pressure reducing valve 2) Set it to about 55psi 3) Install low flow (1.5 gph) shower heads 4) Monitor the length of showers taken if needed Bubba
I will reduce pressure to 75 if it's over that. I will not install lo flo shower heads. I HATE those. We once lived in a mobile home (a hundred years ago) that was fed with a 3/8 line. No thanks. I like LOTS and LOTS of water. I will not monitor my tennants shower time.
(but thanks for your input)

Then do this: Buy 2 - 100gal 75,000 btu high recovery commercial water heaters. Pipe them in parallel. Crank the water pressure up to 100psi. Get the highest flow rate shower heads you can find. Shower to your hearts content. I thought they were your children and not your tennants? Bubba
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:21:43 -0600, "S. Barker"

that seems a bit over kill... and the tennant will be my son and his 5 kids and the wife unit.

water
Would
Why not install an on-demand water heater (Tankless)? The initial cost may be higher, but you will save by not having to keep two tanks hot during non-use periods.
I considered those for my own place but after much research.... NO THANK YOU. Not near hot enough when the input water is 38 degrees.

ya, and they cost 5 times as much as the second tank. Believe me, i've researched the tankless farce far more than i wanted to. I'll not have one.

Gas, the electric ones seem to be even more worthless.
wrote in message

Lots of answers but not much directly at your question. I would think series would be the best way. In Parallel for some unknown reason one might draw out first.
If your water is very cold the first one could be used to raise the temperture part way, perhaps turned off during the summer.