Water Heater question...

I think I need to replace my water heater [getting it checked next week], and looking at them on the internet, I can't find any to compare with what I have.

I think my 40 gal. Rheem has a glass tank(?), the builder's specs are hard to read. Is that right? If so, why don't the web sites indicate what type of tanks they have? I finally found an A.O. Smith site, which mentions a glass

*coating* on one of their lines, is that what I am looking for, if I have been happy with the water heater I have had for 18+ yrs.? Is it not usually listed, because all, or most of them ARE glass coated?

It also mentions the different types of venting, which is something else, I don't know about. My water heater is down stairs, next to my heater, in a big open unfinished storage room. [It's a split level house. One occupant.] Is there anything special I should know about that, so I won't be sold something I don't need. TIA, for anyone who will reduce my ignorance about *today's* water heaters, and what I should be looking for or buying. :)

Barbara

Reply to
chicagofan

The glass is a sprayed on frit that is then heated to form the coating. This has been common practice for 50 or more years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Virtually all heaters are "glass-lined".

down to "Tank type heaters"

Yours is no-doubt vented into a chimney, a very standard type of heater.

When a chimney is not used, there are "direct vent" and "power vent" heaters.

You have to be concerned about warranty life, size (gallons), and recovery rate. If the this one has been satisfactory, get another

40 Gal with similar BTU rating (on data plate).

If you are contracting to have the work done, ask if the installer will be getting a city permit (in his name) and whether he will remove the old tank (not just set it out on your curb) for disposal. Be suspicious if he can't get a permit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks... I thought it might be commonplace, after finding the AOS site. As you can tell, I don't mind showing my ignorance in public places. :) Thanks again. bj

Reply to
chicagofan

It's natural gas... sorry. This is an excellent suggestion, Roy, thank you! bj

Reply to
chicagofan

What an excellent site!!! That was exactly what I needed to see/read! Thank you so much!

It is sort of centrally located in the basement of the house so I can't imagine where it's going. Now that I've seen that diagram and info, it's time to take a closer look at it.

I was surprised to read that my recovery rate was only 30 GPH, and has been satisfactory for me, but I may get something higher this time.

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of information I needed, because I wouldn't have thought of a permit... or that they might not take the tank away. [You would think, after getting burned about trees not being removed, when "tree REMOVAL" is quoted... I WOULD remember such things.] ;)

Once again, thanks to all of you for setting me straight. I love this newsgroup!

Barbara

Reply to
chicagofan

Hi, City permit to replace a water tank? Not here. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ah. True.

But she is not where you are...