A frugal bathroom fungi removal?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi all. Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
I think I have everything I need right now. I have chlorine bleach, oxygen bleach, distilled vinegar, and washing soda. I think i'll mostly use the washing soda and the oxygen bleach first and spray it on them. I'll wipe the surfaces, and I plan to try to kill the black mold on the wallpaper first before I use the steamer to remove the wallpaper and then paint the walls.
I'll also get a humidity sensor, keep an eye on it, and make sure I ventilate often to keep the humidity down.
I'm somewhat worried about using the steamer, perhaps it'll spread the spores everywhere. How does it work? are the spores the same as the live organisms or are they different? Do the chemicals kill both the spores and the live organisms? Should I use a chemical wallpaper stripper instead of the steamer?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

A 1:10 bleach solution can kill them (1 part bleach, 10 parts water) but there very well might be another source of the spores, like behind your drywall. You must drill some holes in the drywall and look in there with a flashlight (you might have to drill 4-5 inch holes to get a flashlight and your eyeball in there.) If you have a behind-the-wall infestation (i.e. that's where you can't clean and they can grow unmolested) you have to take your drywall off, clean all surfaces with a bleach solution, and put on NEW drywall.
Also check under your carpets, the pad could be holding moisture too. Do a sniff test. Get on your hands and knees and try to find where the mold smell is strongest, then pull up that area of carpet.
This is the procuedure most people use after a flood: Remove all drywall (which holds water really well), remove any particle wood (like MDF often used for sheeting/sheathing), and wash studs and weight-bearing wood with bleach solution.
The last thing you have to do is find out why moisture is being trapped behind your walls and feeding the fungi. Is there a moisture barrier between the outside siding and sheeting? Not sure where code requires the moisture barrier so consult a local builder.