Subject Author Posted Replies

Air admittance valves
..., you may be able to use an air admittance valve here...., An air admittance valve has to be down stream of, and at least 4 inches above the p-trap, but check your local plumbing code. Your local...
7
7

Paint color and texture problem
The previous owners of this house left behind a few cans of paints labeled with what they were for. One in particular was off-white eggshell Sherwin Williams Promar 200 acrylic. I used some of it to...
1
1

OT What is Control Panel called in Win 7?
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control Panel called in Win 7? He's going to call back after he eats lunch.
23
23

OT: Move email Folder to My Documents
Yes, it's way OT, but (a) this NG knows everything, and (b) this NG knows everything. I need to move an email Folder containing over 500 messages to My Documents. Spent a long time searching looking...
16
16

ABS vent pipe
I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being rerouted around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get some ABS pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly impossible to...
12
12

Where was I when paint doubled in price
Was just looking at Home Depot's website for paint. $12+ a Quart!!!, $25+ a gallon ??, 130+ for 5 gallons??? Last time I bought any quantity it was about $60 for 5 gallons.
5
5

Grease gun wont work
My (hand operated) grease gun was working fine until it ran out of grease. I put in a new grease cartridge and now it refuses to work. I pumped it darn near 100 times, pumped that spring loaded shaft...
7
7

tinting primer on kitchen cabinets
Has anyone tried to tint a whitish primer with a dark color? The overcoat is going to be an enamel walnut brown. I noticed that sometimes, the white undercoat shows through, requiring a se cond...
4
4

Shower/Tub Caulking Failure
The caulking at the top of our fiberglass shower/tub failed with age. By the time I noticed it, water damaged the edge of the drywall. I've cleaned out the old caulk, the damaged mud, and the damaged...
1
1

Happy 4th of July to our southern neighbors
Here's wishing that everyone south of the 49th parallel(* See Note Below), including those in Alaska, have a happy and safe Independance Day holiday. Canada celebrated "Canada Day" last Monday on July...
10
10

OT What are goat-heads?
OT "We moved out to the country 2 years ago. Within the first two days all 3 of our 4 kids' bike tires went flat from the goat-heads on the property." What are goat-heads?
7
7

In a normal pool, does anything *mix* the water to aid the filter?
I have one of those supposedly self-cleaning pools, which isn't cleaning all that well - so - I was just wondering how "normal" pools work before I turn off the cleaning system completely. My basic...
48
48

Installing a STRONG shelf on garage wall
I want to install a STRONG shelf on my garage wall about a foot above the floor. The shelf will be on the wall between the garage and the house. I plan to attach a 2 by 4 to the wall with lag bolts...
30
30

machine oil smell from refrigerator
I feel a little guilty asking again about machine oil smell from appliances . Well, here goes. I rent an apartment which supplies a relatively new fridge (2009 maybe). B ut it has received knocks and...
17
17

I got sick and tired.
About once a year I have to completely take apart my laptop to clean-out du st from the heat-sink. Now they could have just put in some kind of access panel where the heat-sink is so that I could just...
7
7