79 days left before the end of TV.

Page 3 of 7

Moving Pictures Expert Group.
They set standards for compression It is the protocol and syntax to combine multiplex audio and video data for digital programs. I'm far from an expert on it though. You now know everything I know about it.
Thanks, Ed.
McDave;OKIEAtLargeInMerryland ====================================================
wrote in message

AndyS wrote:
OOPS !!! I meant to say Discrete Cosine Transform........ DCT..
My fingers just got going too fast....
Andy in Eureka, Texas

======================================================= And for sure !!! I understand and I remember the days when I had all possible Fourier Transforms and Cosines committed to memory. That was back in the days when I thought a pixel was some sort of a preverted fairy from the days of yore....
McDaveOfMerryland ==========================================
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

You're getting four more analog and one more digital than am getting here.
Only hope I see is _IF_ (the proverbial "big if") the stations are not yet broadcasting digital in full power yet as someone else suggested. There was another thread a month ago or so where somebody posted a url to the FCC website that has current station power. I'll try to go look and repost it; a search on google group may find it sooner.
Only thing I'll really miss which is important here in High Plains is the local weather radar/live forecast/warning information. (And yes, we've had the discussion before, what's local to the relay transmitters is _NOT_ what is shown on the city stations for local weather/news segments so satellite is not the solution.)
As someone else noted, it does suck, at least so far. I have no idea on what the underlying motive(s) were/are really, certainly I could care less about much of the touted reasons. I've been unable to ascertain from the stations to date what their plans for signal strength of the pertinent transmitters are--their web sites are uninformative about real problems (as are all psa's and the ludicrous PBS "special" w/ Norm and buddies "solving" everybody's problems in some residential 'burb) and at least so far, e-mails have been ignored. Eventually I'll pick up the phone and call and see if there's any sentient life form available.
Anyway, don't give up complete hope; if you're close enough to an urban area to have 7 OTA stations, I'm pretty sure you'll have sufficient signal for most of them although it may take a better antenna and tuning.
Re: the comment on the CR report on the converter boxes -- afaict by reading the reports, the only thing "better" boxes did was slightly less drop out if one is after the absolute perfection in picture quality and some features on programming, menus, etc. I saw no mention of SNR, signal strength sensitivity, etc., etc., etc., that would have any bearing on or any help in choosing one over another for marginal reception areas--I sincerely doubt they were tested for such.
dpb wrote: ...

... http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

Find a hobby. Some study showed that people who spend less time in front of the tube (or panel) are happier and healthier. Programming went down the tubes years ago and the news is all sensationalized anyway.

You must not have seen Entertainment Tonight.

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Be sure to try the convertor box again after the cutover date, say in March as many of the stations will be transmitting digital at considerably higher power than they are currently using temporary transmitters/antennas.

Get one of those gizmos from the salesman on Second Hand Lions.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news:45f9j4teh21qp943t2muq4od7ak4okk4t9@ 4ax.com:

I quit watching TV in 1991 or 92 when my cable price doubled. After a momnth or so I didn't miss it a bit.
I get my news from NPR and entertainment from XM satellite, CDs, books, magazines, sudoku, crosswords, etc.
Ken
I can't listen to NPR for more than a minute or two at a time. Too far left liberal for me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Then listen to Fox or CNN. Doesn't matter to me.
Ken
Nixon.D wrote:

Andy comments:
Isn't that exactly what the Liberals have been saying all along???? :
. "If they promulgate trash that could

I guess the next deal is to vote on who gets to decide what "detrimental trash" is.
:>))))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

===================================================== I say let DOD decide. Those are the guys who have their lives on the line is such a scenario !!!
McDave sends . . . .
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I broke down and bought a new digital tv. Reception, even on the analog channels, is much better than it was with my old set. I'm even getting analog channels I never got with my previous tv. Dunno if you can manage it on your budget, but smaller digital sets now can be had for as little as a couple hundred dollars.
Hell Toupee wrote:

Andy comments:
In Family Dollar Stores in North Texas.... and at WalMart, an ATSC (digital) set , with 19" screen, is about $120
In a year, they will be under $90
The BIG SCREEN stuff is from $300 to $1000, depending on a lot of features....
And old analog TVs will be at Goodwill Stores for many years, for about $20, which will work OK with converter boxes....
Just wanted to let folks know that the world didn't end...
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Should they be a dollar? Or 10 dollars if it's a big family?

You'll be able to find those on the sidewalks and inside and next to dumpsters, starting the day after Xmas, and peaking in the week or two after the conversion.
When I lived in NYC, people made a point of throwing good trash away days before the garbage man came, so people could take the stuff. Or they would put it on the top of the garbage can. One time I was on my bike and I saw a 9 inch tv on top of a garbage can, and while I was trying to figure out how to attach it to my racing bike (with luggage rack) the woman of the house came out with rope to help me. She said it didn't need much work and it didn't, a fuse or less.

mm wrote:>

Andy comments:
Yeah, I've always been a collector of electronic trash myself. If I couldn't fix it, I'd junk it for parts, as I have been an electronics hobbyist since the 8th grade..... I don't think I've ever had to cannibilize a TV I found in a trash heap, tho , since it seemed I could always get them fixed, usually by just re-soldering the connections on the main board. Cold solder joints are difficult to locate, so I just take 10 minutes and re-solder the whole mother board..... Usually that would do the trick. And, when a TV set of mine got to the point that I couldn't fix it, I'd cut out the capacitors and power resistors, maybe the potentiometers, and power transistors and xtal, and junk it.
If "I" have thrown it out.... it NEEDED throwing out :>))))
I rarely do that anymore, tho. It just ain't worth the trouble...
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Yes, same for me. I"m the last stop on the road.

I'm still collecting. I need a tv for every room, and one for watching outside while I fix the bike or lawnmower or something. Comes to 10 total. I still haven't got color in each room. Not the attic (where I only would watch an hour or two per year; or the spare bedroom (where I have a 9-inch B&W which fits in the speaker opening from a wind-up phonograph that I got after the guts had been removed), or the laundry room (where I really only listen to it and rarely look) or outside, where light-weight is the most important, since I take it in at the end of the day. The outside tv shouldn't need more than AC current, but I guess next spring, I'll have to run co-ax from a splitter or amp connected to the DVDR.