Subject Author Posted Replies

copper pipe soldering question
when you need to unsolder a pipe connection and then resolder to it, are there any tricks to the unsoldering, or to clean the joint of solder so you can put a new coupling on it to resolder?
37
37

Swedish Uses For Duct Tape
Duct tape is very useful and a Swedish gal demonstrates an interesting use. ^_^ TDD
11
11

sealant for freezer lid gasket
Gasket on freezer lid is in great shape but has become loose & therefore less effective. Will defrost it soon and put some sort of sealant or adhesive on it. What do you suggest?
6
6

Makeshift sawguide
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1978690_829190297108235_564874334_n.jpg
1
1

gas oven takes a long time to preheat
My gas oven takes 30 minutes to preheat. Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? GP
6
6

Claw Footed Bath Tub
This year I want to update our spare bathroom, in our >100 year old house. It has a period, claw foot bath tub, one that I would like to retain. Given its age, and many paint jobs (by prior house...
3
3

Initial swamp cooler turn-on
After cleaning up the swamp cooler, lubricating, changing pads, removing last year's calcium, etc. for a new season how do you clean the dust and dirt out of the blower that shows up when the cooler...
8
8

To those who lost hospice coverage...
This may be of interest to youse guys. http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/a-quiet-sea-change-in-medicare/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1&...

Dimmer For Lights
Hello, Have a light dimmer that is used to dim some overhead lights in the dining room. It's quite old, and a vertical moving lever style. Guess you would say it's analog, as you can set the bulb...
3
3

There's no light at the end of this tunnel...
Here's today's "Good News in america" story, New Jersey edition. New Brunswick man opts out of ObamaCare. ================================================ NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) ? A man was...

OT, I Never Knew
Ya know, if you stop learning, you die. I learn something new every day and I have always enjoyed discovering and learning new things. There is no way one person can know everything and those who...
15
15

Replace side mounted faucets in 1950 sink?
Are replacement side mounted faucets available for a circa 1950 sink like this? Don. (e-mail link at home page bottom). http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/1950sink.jpg
8
8

Garage door opener and wall switch not working
Hi, my 15-year old garage door is not working: I tried different things, but it is not responding to either remote control or the button on the wall, though the light in the opener blinks. Does anyone...
10
10

water leak detection and shut off
I have seen two basic types: 1. place water detectors near water heater, washer, etc. OR 2. monitor water flow into the house for unusual, constant flow. I like the idea of the second type, as that...
13
13

OT biodiesel
In line with OT ethanol, an ad touting biodiesel said one of its benefits was to raise the price of soy beans 60 cents (don't know on what measure) as a benefit to farmers. Using either ethanol or...
11
11