60" tub

Are 60" tubs really 58.5" long?

Check the manufacturer's web site for information on specific models - they vary.
RicodJour blurted out in alt.home.repair:

Will do. Reason I ask is that the tub I'm getting ready to replace is 58.5" long as is the opening and I'm only seeing 60" tubs when shopping around online.

Are you measuring the finished opening, e.g. from tile to tile? The tub is normally set in the rough opening, so the opening from stud to stud would 60" for a 60" tub, giving a finished opening of less than 60". That way the enclosure finish material overhangs the upturned perimeter tub flange.
Yours, Wayne
Wayne Whitney blurted out in alt.home.repair:

Good to know. Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and order the tub.