4 windows or more?

This past early summer I had 4 double hung windows at about $500 each ( triple pane ) installed. Unbeknownst to me at that time, one of my rear windows with turn latches ( i don't know what they are called ) they have on each side, a latch that you turn to open and close. Well, it turns out that they may need to be replaced...but so far, most companys demand a minium of 5, some may come down to 4. I do not have any more windows. Does anyone know how I can get one? I don't know if I want the exact type to replace.
Can you say warranty, use it.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in 3132.bay.webtv.net:

Can you say this is a 5th window that was not replaced? I got that out of the OP's post.
Is this correct Anthona or does Ransley have a point that I wonder as well?
Al Bundy wrote:

Well, obviously I have a warranty...but apparently it only covers the 4 windows that I contracted for...so how does a warranty cover a 5th, when i never had mentioned it to the salesman...although, i could give it a try.
They are called casement windows

Do you mean a *crank* you turn?
If it is a casement window, the crank is at the bottom and the latch is at the side half way up.

Do you mean *it* instead of "they"?
What's wrong with it? The crank and latch are replaceable without replacing the window.

mm wrote:

Yes, couldn't think of the name..crank it is. I oiled it and there is a slight improvement, but I believe the main problem is that when I had the window opened this summer, closing the crank and lock it in place, there was no force behind it, so the 2 'hooks' or whatever they are callled could not make contact for the slot. Fortunately, on the first floor, I was able to go outside and push it closer and then those 'hooks' locked. I hate to think I have to do that all the time just to lock it.

Tbat's a symptom more than a problem. I don't think you know what the problem is. Did you oil the hinges too, and spray silicone lube on any of the parts that slide together?
Did you oil all the parts that rub together in the crank mehcanism, or only the crank shaft itself?
If the crank is binding even after it has been lubed inthe right places, it can be replaced.
When people say windows need replacing, it is normally because the frames are falling apart, not because the mechanism etc. need lubrication, which sounds to me like your problem.

Unless you lock the window every time you go out, that doesn't seem like a big problem.
mm wrote:

Thank u...when I said oiled the crank, I meant the mechanism of it, not the handle. It turned out, that just outside the frame on the brick side, protruded a section with a screw that had loosen. I tighten it and now all is well:)

You're welcome.

Hahahahaahaha. I know this group does both, but I find repair so much more satisfy9ing than replace.