Termopane windows or double windows?

I have a large single-pane window in my den (side-by-side slider) that transmits road noise.

I thought of replacing it with a new dual pane (thermopane) window to reduce noise transmission.This means ripping out the old window & frame.

Another route to go is to place a duplicate inside window on the inside sill of the existing window, like an interior storm window.

This site claims that a double-window is superior in suppressing noise than a single thermopane window.

Is this only salesmanship? Any opinions?

Reply to
Walter R.

Yes, but it is less effective at keeping you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Of course just about anything will be better than most sliders.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan