How to find a 3" pipe, threaded on both ends and 3" long?

This whole thing seems a bit much. But look how much bigger the red taped pipe is compared to the vertical drain just under the sink. They had a 3" pipe there for some other reason, and plumbed this sink to it.

Reply to
Pico Rico

I was thinking of the main fittings like the pipe nipple or the tee in the main stack, rather than the P-trap assembly. For example, plumbingsupply.com shows a 2" brass tee costing $38. Ouch. Of course, those fittings are made for supply lines, not drains. I've never seen drain lines made of brass (solid, not plated steel).

In any case, the only P-trap assemblies I have seen here in WA state are PVC, ABS, or chromed steel. I could probably special order brass if I wanted to, but it's not something available off the shelf.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

good place to use a couple of ferncos. I think I saw a T fernco some years ago.

Reply to
bob haller

I saw a T fernco some years ago.

Was Mr. T Fernco black?

Stormin Mormon

Novel,

I'm terrible at math, so I used an online calculator to find the diameter:

6" circumference = 1.91" diameter

Then I looked up the outside diameter of galvanized pipe:

steel-pipe

1-1/2" galvanized appears to be closest to your 1.91" measurement.

That's a bit smaller than I expected. Dang, I guessed 2" pipe. :)

I knew it wasn't 3" based on the size of the bleach or vinegar bottle next to it. The PVC tailpiece is usually 1-1/4 or 1-1/2, and the trap looks larger than the tailpiece. The P-trap also looks like it reduces slightly where it drops from the red taped area. 2" seemed the most likely.

I blame it on trick photography and/or photoshop. :)

It's one of those infinity photos where 3" pipe drains upward into a 1-

1/2" stack. :)

Thanks for clearing up the debate. Like trying to guess the number of marbles in a jar, that was a fun side diversion. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Look at:

The price list is available onlune. $40 ish for brass traps. That's cast brass. The lightweight drawn brass are a lot less. $23 for one from Home despot (see

clare

Not only not a plumber, but not a mathematician either. The diameter of a 6" circumference pipe is 1.91 inches. Most definitely NOT a 3" pipe!!! A bit small for a 2" drain, actually.

Reply to
clare

here. Some said to measure with a ruler..I went a step further by circling it with a string, than lied it down a ruler and it measured 6". So half of that, I believe would be the diameter...so do the math. It was circled arou nd the red tape area cause that is where it was inserted into the T-pipe. Regardless, a genuine plumber is coming today to take all out and replaced with the latest P trap and etc, minus the T-pipe. Thanks to all...except th e troll caller. LOL

It's spot on for a 1 1/2" pipe.

Reply to
trader_4

3" galvanized $19.23 3" stainless $22.66 this is a no brainer, go stainless and only do it once.

My guss is it's 2" which is about 2.5" o.d. and would look like 3" under a sink.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

The rest of the plumbing system is 50 year old galavanized. Why would you put a $22 stainless nipple into that, when the rest of it isn't long for this world? Even a new galvanized is going to last longer than the rest of the system.

Per his latest reports, the circumference is 6". That makes it

1.5" pipe. Good thing he didn't buy the 3" nipple, eh?
Reply to
trader_4

This thread sure has gone through a couple twists and turns. And it's been amazingly civil, all considered. Considering who is on this list....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm... I stand corrected. I didn't see that one on the US Home Depot site, but I did find this one ($38) that looks quite similar to the one in Novels picture:

3/202329480

I have never seen these in a local store, looks to be special order only.

Around here, we just use the $5 plastic P-traps like this:

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

The distance around the outside of the pipe that you did with the string is called the circumference. Here's a link about that:

The circumference is 3.14 times the diameter. If you divide the 6 inch string length by 3.14, you'll get the diameter of the pipe straight across from one outside edge to the other, which is a little less than 2 inches. But, that is the outside diameter of the pipe and, as someone mentioned, pipe sizes are stated by the inside diameter of the pipe. So, it is apparently a 1 1/2 inch inside diameter pipe.

I'd bet that it wasn't cheap getting a plumber to fix the problem since it appears from the photo that the trap may be brass and the other pipes and/or stack may be cast iron. And, to make things more difficult, it looks like the P-trap from the stack goes straight to the tailpiece coming down from the sink -- meaning that it is a straight shot and it is not offset on one side or another. That would mean that you would need an exact length horizontal pipe and P-trap to fit that distance, and it is an old style trap with a short turning radius. That can make things difficult. But, if the vertical stack was cut out by the plumber as was suggested elsewhere here, and maybe Fernco couplings were used, then the new P-trap could be adjusted to be offset in a way that the P-trap connections could be adjustable to accurately line up with the existing sink tailpiece.

And, if you were going to try to do the job yourself, it would probably have been a little bit of a challenge because that would have involved cutting off the stack (maybe with an angle grinder due to the tight space), doing the Fernco trick, putting in a PVC Tee-type fitting and a new P-trap, etc. Could be a bit of a mess in a very small work area.

Hopefully, it all worked out, but I'd bet it cost some bucks -- maybe 2 hours for a plumber plus parts (just a guess).

And, thanks for posting the photo -- that helped a lot.

Reply to
TomR