3" pipe???

Page 1 of 4
Plumber came to kitchen to take care of my clogged drain after I failed to do it myself. Below the sink, he took off the trap that had what he called a 3" pipe attached to it. Well as he was trying to remove it, part of the t hread broke off. it was old and rusted. Now, he told me to have it replace. His job did not call for replacing pipes and had me sign a waver for that. That's fine. Now what I want to know is how to go about getting that pipe. I'm sure its not ready made, or maybe I am wrong. I know it probably won't be available in a regular hardware store. He said to ask for a 3" pipe, th readed on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"?

What happened when you asked the supplier for a 3" pipe, threaded on both ends and 3" long ?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Friday, June 20, 2014 8:49:16 AM UTC-4, novel wrote:

d a 3" pipe attached to it. Well as he was trying to remove it, part of the thread broke off. it was old and rusted. Now, he told me to have it replac e. His job did not call for replacing pipes and had me sign a waver for tha t. That's fine. Now what I want to know is how to go about getting that pip e. I'm sure its not ready made, or maybe I am wrong. I know it probably won 't be available in a regular hardware store. He said to ask for a 3" pipe, threaded on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"?
Troll alert! Troll alert!
On 6/20/2014 8:49 AM, novel wrote:

Couplings are threaded inside.
Pipe and nipples are threaded outside.
Local hardware store probably does not have 3" pipe.
This is one source http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-metal-pipe/=sho3sf
On Friday, June 20, 2014 10:07:36 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

led a 3" pipe attached to it. Well as he was trying to remove it, part of t he thread broke off. it was old and rusted. Now, he told me to have it repl ace. His job did not call for replacing pipes and had me sign a waver for t hat. That's fine. Now what I want to know is how to go about getting that p ipe. I'm sure its not ready made, or maybe I am wrong. I know it probably w on't be available in a regular hardware store. He said to ask for a 3" pipe , threaded on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"?

Ed, you really think a plumber came to unclog a drain, broke off a 3" pipe, and then told the customer to just go get a new one and put it in? If the trap is attached to a 3" pipe and the 3" pipe needs to be replaced, it sure as hell isn't something that someone asking these questions has any hope of replacing. It would be very unusual for the trap in a kitchen sink to be connected to a 3" pipe to begin with.
My vote is troll.
On 6/20/2014 10:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Hard to say. Not a legit plumbe4r, but a local handyman or a drunk one. Having 3" pipe is unlikely, but in an older house or aaprtment building, anything is possible.
On 06/20/2014 07:49 AM, novel wrote:

If the so called plumber could not replace it, time to call a real plumber. They'd be equipped for any situation.

Is the pipe 3" long, or 3" wide?
3" wide pipe for a kitchen drain sounds a little suspicious. Every kitchen drain I've ever seen uses 1.5" or 2" pipe. Also, I can't imagine any professional plumber who would break a pipe and not fix it. In any case, I've seen a lot of oddball stuff in old houses, so I'll respond anyway.
You said the pipe was old and rusted, so I'm going to assume the pipe is galvanized steel pipe (copper doesn't rust). You said part of the thread broke off, so a threaded adapter is probably not an option. Having worked with old galvanized pipe, I know that trying to take apart old rusted fittings often results in more damage to the plumbing.
I would probably use a hacksaw to cut the pipe below the area it rusted. Then I would use a rubber "Fernco" coupling to adapt to an ABS or PVC pipe that I can install a proper drain fitting on (the nut and washer that seals around the drain tailpipe). If you have 3" wide pipe, you would need to find a reducing Fernco coupling, or use a regular Fernco coupling and transition to the smaller size in the plastic pipe.
If your pipe is really 2" pipe threaded on each end, that would be called a "pipe nipple". Most hardware or big box stores should stock a 3" long pipe nipple. But as I mentioned, trying to take apart old galvanized fittings can be hit or miss, especially since you already had a piece break off. I would soak the fitting with WD40 or something before trying to take it apart. Then carefully use a couple of pipe wrenches to remove the broken pipe nipple. If you're lucky, maybe it will come out without breaking. If you're not lucky, the fitting may break and you'll end up replacing even more pipe and fittings. That's why I would probably opt for the Fernco approach.
Good luck!
Plumber came to kitchen to take care of my clogged drain after I failed to do it myself. Below the sink, he took off the trap that had what he called a 3" pipe attached to it. Well as he was trying to remove it, part of the thread broke off. it was old and rusted. Now, he told me to have it replace. His job did not call for replacing pipes and had me sign a waver for that. That's fine. Now what I want to know is how to go about getting that pipe. I'm sure its not ready made, or maybe I am wrong. I know it probably won't be available in a regular hardware store. He said to ask for a 3" pipe, threaded on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"?
Which broke - pipe or trap? If trap, take the old one to the store and match it up. If it was the pipe, take it to wholesale pipe supply (not Home Depot) and ask for 2-3 plumber referrals. Or ask a respected friend in the construction business for a referral. Asking a neighbor for a referral is trouble.

novel wrote:

Any chance that you could take a digital photo or two and post it here? That would make it easier for people to understand what you have now and what you are asking.
If you don't know how to upload photos, post back here and I an others can show you how to do that.
On Friday, June 20, 2014 3:07:43 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Even a troll caller? LOL
trader_4 wrote:

Maybe yes, maybe no -- I'm not sure. I see prior posts by this person and once in a while he does respond back here when others post responses to his original question.
On Friday, June 20, 2014 3:09:36 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

HI TomR, thanks for giving me the 'benefit of the doubt'...some guys here j ust get a kick out of calling someone a "troll', just because it be in thei r eyes against the norm...Not everything is perfect in this world. Perhaps I am to be blamed for the wording of my OP..so I will try to straighten it out here the best I can. I did call this guy a plumber mainly cause he does plumbing work for a company that just does drain cleaning. If the 'troll' caller actually read my OP thoroughly, he would of read that he made me sig n a paper wavering any liability in breaking a pipe...his company does not do that. Right now, so I could use the sink, its working just fine, so pict ure taking would not show anything, mainly cause the threaded pipe area tha t he screwed in was covered with 'plumber's tape', which I had from previou s problems. He gave me the measurements. I wanted this info here so I coul d be prepared the next time if and when it would clog, I will have it avail able to have the 'plumber' or 'handy guy' insert it. Guys like you make i t a pleasure in this forum not to rush to judgement.
On Friday, June 20, 2014 6:29:28 PM UTC-4, novel wrote:

eir eyes against the norm...Not everything is perfect in this world. Perhap s I am to be blamed for the wording of my OP..so I will try to straighten i t out here the best I can. I did call this guy a plumber mainly cause he do es plumbing work for a company that just does drain cleaning.
That's right, a drain cleaner isn't a plumber. Saying someone is plumber implies that they have skills way beyond cleaning out a drain a line. If you said a drain cleaner told you to call someone else to fix it, that would make sense.
If the 'troll' caller actually read my OP thoroughly, he would of read that he made me sign a paper wavering any liability in breaking a pipe, his com pany does not do that.
I read where you said he had you sign a waiver of liability. No way from that for us to figure out that this "plumber" is actually a drain cleaner, who works for a drain cleaning company that doesn't do more than clean drains. A full service plumbing company might also have you sign a waiver..... "Customer acknowledges that we need to remove plugs, open access points, etc and with any plumbing system, especially old ones, there is a risk of parts failing. If that happens, it is not our responsibility" , etc.
Right now, so I could use the sink, its working just fine, so picture takin g would not show anything, mainly cause the threaded pipe area that he scre wed in was covered with 'plumber's tape', which I had from previous problem s.
Plumbers tape or dope is routinely used on threaded fittings, including brand new ones. Has nothing to do with seeing what the plumbing in question looks like. And picture taking would show a lot, in particular th is mysterious 3" nipple.
He gave me the measurements. I wanted this info here so I could be prepar ed the next time if and when it would clog, I will have it available to hav e the 'plumber' or 'handy guy' insert it. Guys like you make it a pleasur e in this forum not to rush to judgement.
You could do that. But I would be careful about getting some "handy guy" to screw around with the described 3" pipe. There may be better, safer, easier solutions to the problem. For example, if that nipple really exists and is screwed into a T inside the wall, and some "handy man" type tries to take it out, because you hand him a piece of pipe and tell him to put it in, you could wind up with more expensive and bigger problems. Someone with experience might figure out a better, easier solution that doesn't even require the 3" nipple. They also might tell you that other stuff under there needs to be replaced too, and it changes things so the parts required are different, don't require that 3" nipple, etc.
If you really want to go buy it, based on the limited info you've given, what you want is a 3" long, 3" galvanized nipple. Which brings us to the next problem. Very short nipples are called "close nipples". I just did a quick search and it appears that a 3" close nipple is 2 5/8" long. The next size up is likely going to be a lot longer than 3". If this pipe really is 3" diameter, it's highly likely what's there is just a 3" close nipple. That's why it's probably not a good idea to be going buying stuff based on a drain cleaner's recommendations and to let whoever is going to fix it determine what it needs, the best solution, etc.
He said to ask for a 3" pipe, th>readed on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"? That would be called a nipple.
On 6/20/2014 5:32 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Inny, outie. Not a nipple's worth of difference.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Mistakes happen, don't sweat it. As with most areas of life, it only takes one or two bad apples (trolls) to cause trouble for everyone else. It's easy for people with DIY experience to forget that not everyone knows the correct terminology for things. Heck, I've been doing this stuff for decades and still discover new things.
When it comes to stupid questions, I'm an expert! :)

OK, that makes more sense.

Photos are always helpful. In my previous reply I was picturing the drain pipe coming up out of the floor, mainly because that's the setup I dealt with at my in-laws. After I posted my response, I realized your pipe may be coming out of the wall instead. If that's the case, you may not have the space to use a Fernco coupling.
Post a photo if you can, it helps make sense when text doesn't necessarily explain the situation.

Armed with these responses you should have no trouble explaining what you need to the sales people at the hardware or box store. For that matter, you could probably find it yourself.
Good luck!
On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:47:58 PM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

Here is the picture the red tape is covering the pipe in question..sorry, its the best i can do http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Novel8/media/102_0172.jpg.html
On Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:08:30 AM UTC-4, novel wrote:

I'm not sure that's 3", it might be, but it looks like it could be smaller. But whatever the diameter, it's what I described in my previous post, ie a close nipple. It would be a 3" close nipple.
The way it's done there is not the best design. You can see that the tailpiece from the sink is not straight vertically, because you can't control the horizontal dimension. That presents the potential for a leak. Before going the close nipple route, I'd look at what is available in new P traps. You may have enough room so that you could could get a new slip-joint type P trap in there, using a reducing bushing on the existing T, etc.