[SOLVED] 220V Air Conditioner - Proper Wire Gauge

Will, If you already have a 220 volt, 20 amp circuit it should have a 6-20R receptacle. The 30 amp plugs are bigger which judging by the prongs of the plug in your fingers is what you have.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks, John. I'm thinking that the plug is the larger, 30-amp 6-30 as well. I don't have the recepticle installed yet, just the existing wire and outlet box. Looks l ike I need to upgrade to 10-gauge wire.

With appreciatiion, Will

Reply to
Will Godfrey

Looking at the spec: "use time delay fuse or circuit breaker 30 amp" If that is what the nameplate or manufacturer says the code requires a

30A circuit. One can guess that the A/C will trip a 20A breaker when it starts.

But not the way it is done for hard wired motors.

Reply to
bud--

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Pedro wrote: Edwin your absolutely right*/_ "be on the safe side"_/*, like any requirements from point to point must be of the same standard and should not be any of these maybe's, it's cut and dry, people who made comments that may lead people to believe that it okay to go below the standards should not even make any comments at all, we are creatures of habits both good and bad, and if it's going to save people a little buck then they will buy the cheap stuff, that's going to lead to a disaster.

Reply to
Pedro

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Pedro wrote: Edwin your absolutely right*/_ "be on the safe side"_/*, like any requirements from point to point must be of the same standard and should not be any of these maybe's, it's cut and dry, people who made comments that may lead people to believe that it okay to go below the standards should not even make any comments at all, we are creatures of habits both good and bad, and if it's going to save people a little buck then they will buy the cheap stuff, that's going to lead to a disaster.

Reply to
Pedro

The valid point I saw some people making was if this was a hardwired AC, then you could use a 30A breaker with 12g wire and it would be code compliant with the given plate specs. But since it's an outlet, then it needs to be 10g to use a 30A breaker.

Reply to
trader_4

Yup, the reality is even #12 is probably overkill considering how efficient the new systems are. They generally run significantly below FLA on the sticker. If it starts getting up there, you probably have a problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to Ralph Mowery, MS DETAILS wrote: What does it mean devices need to be fused

Reply to
MS DETAILS

replying to Ralph Mowery, MS DETAILS wrote: What does it's mean to be fused?

Reply to
MS DETAILS

In your case, it means that you shouldn't be messing with electricity if you need to ask that particular question, while resuscitating a 10 year old thread.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It would mean that all devices intended to be plugged into receptacles should have their own fuse. But that isn't the case. Some devices, eg a TV or air conditioner typically have a fuse or breaker. Others, eg a table lamp, do not.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Will Godfrey, Technical Solutions 77 wrote: Any and all 30 A breakers need to be wired with 10 ga copper wire in order to be safe and efficient. 12 ga wire would work but wouldn't safely power the circuit because it would quickly reach ( Or be dangerously close ) it's maximum power transfer capacity which heats up the wire and compromise all the conductive connections and increase the resistance which would cause excessive power usage and eventuall create fire hazard.

Reply to
Technical Solutions 77