18 or 16 gauge nailer

I have some 3/4 inch poplar trim that I'm putting on 3/4 inch stock backing this weekend. I have both 16 and 18 gauge nailers. Because of the style of the trim, I will have to be nailing pretty close to the edges, so I think the 18 gauge would be the better choice. We had to have the trim custom made and the wife will kill me if I split it. My question is, can I use the 18 gauge for this? First, would 3/4 poplar just create 18 gauge pretzels and second, since the brads are only 1.25", would the 1/2" penetration into the backer be enough? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't really know about the best size, but to prevent splitting trim, you might consider drilling nailing holes slightly smaller than the brads you decide to use. Bob-tx
Arbee wrote:

Use a hammer, finishing nails, glue, and pre-drill the holes.

Any box store has 1 1/2" brads. Buy some and get some polar boards and do some testing. You will need to experiment some to get the air pressure set right on the nailer. Only hands on experience will give you the answers you need.
Joe

Just to follow up, did it yesterday. 16 gauge where I had plenty of room, and 18 in the tight spots just for reinforcement. Worked beautifully.