Subject Author Posted Replies

Moving switch and receptable boxes
Have switch and receptacle boxes in existing drywall and I would like to move some of them. Due to suspected wire runs it would be necessary to add wire length (Can't rerun entire length) and the...
25
25

Need a plumber at midnight for daytime rates?
INTRO: I come from a family that only called in ANY service person once, watched them like a hawk, and from then on, did it ourselves.... and yet, if I could get such help on "my" time, at regular...

Water-based varnish: yuck
Just did a job with some water-based Varathane, not because I wanted to use it, but because my client demanded it. As soon as I saw what the can of stuff was, I said "I hate it", but I went ahead and...
7
7

New Toro snowblower-- Sound?
Hi I hope I can explain this well enough. I bought a new Toro Power Clear 221, briggs&straton 2-stroke, pullstart. The sound it makes has me a bit concerned. Here goes its like...
11
11

Laminate flooring as kitchen countertop
Heat issues aside, I think it's a good idea. I built a computer desk and wanted a fairly rugged, but 'different' kind of work surface. A friend is in the floor covering business and showed...
22
22

Stainless steel kitchen backsplash?
Seems like these are the current trend. Anyone here with recent experience? Do you custom order them online and have them shipped to you rolled up in a tube? Thanks.
7
7

What is this hand tool? Link to photo within.
I found this somewhere, probably in a residential street. What is this? The metal _hook_ is steel and swivels VERY freely in the plastic handle....
23
23

help needed with student survey on tool belts, work gloves etc -gift card raffle
------------------------------------- We are graduate students researching the work gear accessories market -- ie your usage patterns of tool belts, work gloves etc. Please take the 5 minute survey...

Burn spot in formica kitchen counter
In a rental unit, I have a burned spot(about 2" in diameter )on the formica
3
3

Learning electrical work ...
... ... Your public library comes to mind... It depends on what you mean and how you want to do this learning...if you're thinking you can get somebody to come babysit you at your convenience...
26
26

How to Waterproof Shower Niche
I just had my shower rebuilt by a contractor. It's done in 18" travertine tiles. The tiling was finished about a month ago but we haven't used the shower yet (more work in other parts of the...
4
4

Ceiling fans - up or down?
I have a small log home. The main room is 22 X 30 with an 18 foot cathedral ceiling. There are two fans - up high. I am supplementing the baseboard (oil) heat with two electric radiators. (I made the...
13
13

[SOLVED] gutter repair
My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in...
13
13

It's time to change the air in your tires
NOTICE: It's time to change the air in your tires. Well, actually this should have been done around December 20th when Winter officially began. But if you did not do it then, DO IT NOW. It's...
23
23

Why is Snow getting into Our attic through the Vents?
We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical...
8
8