Moving switch and receptable boxes

Have switch and receptacle boxes in existing drywall and I would like to move some of them. Due to suspected wire runs it would be necessary to add wire length (Can't rerun entire length) and the normal approach would be to put a blank cover on the existing boxes. Is there any other simple approach where I could splice the wire, plate over the existing box and cover the box with wall board which would meet normal safety and code requirements?

Reply to
nospamplse

You can't sheetrock over an electrical box. You can however paint or wallpaper the blank cover to blend in.

Reply to
Pete C.

....Is there any other simple approach where I could splice the wire, plate over the existing box and cover the box with wall board which would meet normal safety and code requirements? ............

No. Connections must be "accessible", a box covered by drywall is not.

What you're considering is a bad idea.

Besides being a code violation, it could and probably will cause problems in the future.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Or you can make the splice box an electrical outlet so you can access plus have an extra outlet to use.

Reply to
Mikepier

If the box is a new work box (e.g. doesn't have tabs over the drywall) you could cut a piece of sheet steel to the size/shape of a blank plate to make it less conspicuous, then paint/wallpaper as suggested above. Other than that, no, not much you can do.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Junctions and splices can NOT be concealed. Code requires they be accessible.

Reply to
clare

If the exist (B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

Here is one example of the devices referenced:

Having said this, I would be fairly reluctant to use these and would explore all alternatives first. I would also recommend against their installation by a novice electrician. Perhaps a good professional electrician could refish the wire feeding the current location.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Easiest, neatest and code compliant is to use WireMold. True, it is surface wiring, but it is not all that conspicuous. Once installed and painted to match surroundings it should be quite acceptable. One advantage might be you can keep present devices functional if you wish. Most box stores stock the basics, and a good distributor will have the more unusual adapters on the shelf. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

To leave any splice box, it would have to be accessible. Is there an alternate location that the cables could reach, such as a base cabinet, or the flip side of the wall, where an accessible junction box wouldn't be an eyesore

Reply to
RBM

re: "...it could and probably will cause problems in the future.

Please explain the "probably will" portion of this statement.

Any connection, concealed or not *could* cause a problem, but why would a concealed box *probably* cause a problem?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Murphy's Law? Or perhaps because a concealed connection was made by someone without respect or knowledge of the electrical code, and therefore the level of workmanship will be lower, on average?

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

re: "...it could and probably will cause problems in the future.

Please explain the "probably will" portion of this statement.

Any connection, concealed or not *could* cause a problem, but why would a concealed box *probably* cause a problem?

Considering that virtually every recessed fixture has a concealed junction box, and I can tell ya, they're not always what I'd call "accessible"

Reply to
RBM

But the junction box is ON the fixture. "accessible" is something like "portable" - open to interpretation - a 24" "portable" TV is portable because it has handles built in, not because you are going to be able to carry it out to the car, or the patio, with ease.

Reply to
clare

Just my experience......maybe a cosmic application of Murphy's Law or the fact that hacks do "hack-like" work? People who take shortcuts tend to make it a habit, leaving a trail of sloppy work.......nothing terrible / immediately unsafe but less than ideal.

Maybe it wouldn't be against the code if it wasn't a problem of sufficient probability?

I've been tempted a few times to do it myself (owner wants it or it's the expedient solution) but have always resisted the temptation.

YMMV

Please feel free to conceal any connections you might make.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

They may technically pass code, but I wouldn't put any money on being able to get it past an electrical inspector in Ontario (unless he didn't see it - and a few of them DO appear to be blind sometimes)

Reply to
clare

Well, these devices are NEC compliant, so it should pass, although the inspector may need to be directed to the above code reference, as they are not so common. I don't know if they the CEC has an equivalent section.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

The NEC definition of "accessible" regarding wiring methods, is very specific, however having access to a wiring chamber of some recessed fixtures, and having the ability to reach in and actually make up splices, are two different things

Reply to
RBM

I use to see those type of connectors used in prefab housing, where boxes were joined together. I can't tell you what a crappy connection they make. Personally I'd rather bury a junction box then trust those, legal or not

Reply to
RBM

Hmm, I think the NEC provision that allows them to be concealed in normal residential remodel work is a fairly recent change. Is it possible they have improved? Just curious, I have no reason to use them myself.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Thanks for all of the informed advice which is fairly uniform. The flip side of the wall is not an option. There is a high cabinet which might allow one box to be concealed.

Regards

Don

Reply to
nospamplse