Subject Author Posted Replies

Verdict in: electric cars more efficient that biofuel-powered
After hearing a comment about this on a PBS talking-heads show, I found a couple articles confirming what was said: a team of researchers compared turning an equal amount of biomass into biofuel to...
23
23

Storm door falling out of its frame
I have a prehung storm door and the two bottm hinges on it keep popping out of place. I've tried just pushing them back into place but it doesn't stay in. Is there any other suggestions other than...
3
3

Hand tampering and Power compactor
Several years ago I built a 3 foot high x 24 foot long retaining wall with a stair case in the middle. This required me to dig 11" inches down for 6" of base plus 5" of the wall to be under ground....

Replaceing Flooring
I have to replace a vinyl tile floor in a rental unit. I pulled up a couple of the damaged tiles and found the plywood in the subfloor is delaminating. So my plan is to pull up the rest of the tiles...
3
3

Jalousie Window Hardware Repair
My house was built in 1956 and has the original jalousie windows. I happen to like them but the cranks etc. are wearing out. and the ones I am using to replace them with were salvaged from other...
4
4

Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is $200-300. Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4...
40
40

rescreening a patio door
any tips or tricks to keeping the screen (fiberglass) tight while rolling in the spline?? we've already done it twice and still the screen is not very tight...very frustrating thanks, cj
12
12

where to buy lighter fluid?
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe...
16
16

Urinal for the home
On Sun, 10 May 2009 09:25:47 -0400, against all advice, something compelled Hipupchuck , to say: Who says you can't?
13
13

exterior stain over exterior paint?
I'm going to be restaining my siding this summer. But the trim appears to have been mostly finished with paint instead of stain. Can I paint over this with stain instead of paint? Would I have to...
2
2

Compressor / inflator recommendations
I am considering buying an inflatable poolside water slide something like this: 'll need some way to inflate it. I suppose the vacuum cleaner could be used, but I have been meaning to buy a portable...
5
5

Genie garage door receiver - 9 dip switch vs. 12 dip switch
My old Genie radio receiver (old 9 dip-switch version) was invaded by fire ants and stopped working. So - I replaced it with a 12 dip-switch version (after being assured by a tech at Genie that it...
6
6

Thank you, amateur gutter hanger, wherever you are
Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I bought the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold...
11
11

Dishwasher Drain
I am installing a new SHE33M02UC Bosch dishwasher in place of our old Gibson. With the Gibson I used a drain hose about 10' long, made up of a section of standard "corrugated" plastic dishwasher drain...
3
3

new a/c refrigerant?
I'm in the market to replace my split-system heat pump A/C. An installer = came by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the = need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and...
11
11