Subject Author Posted Replies

Wafer Board for concrete forms.
Can I use wafer board when I form up for my garage stem wall?
13
13

Drill Repair
Finally got up my courage, and pull apart my Metabo corded half inch hammer drill. It died, with no aparent reason, a couple weeks ago. I'd been using my Skil 3/8 drill, for installing deadbolts....
9
9

How much current to subpanel
Hi, I have a subpanel that is in a very convenient space and it is so very temping to put a lot of stuff on it (kitchen /includes 30amp stove + garage + central A/C + etc), but my electrician told me...
16
16

Window putty and latex question.
Hi there, The company I paint for does a lot of heritage restoration and currently is exclusively using alkyd paint for our products. However, we'd like to start using more latex for drying time,...
7
7

Bath's pedestal sink
I remodeled my small half-bath. I received a hand-me-down pedestal sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it installed. The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set...
6
6

The Price of KCl for Water Softeners
Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At one time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?
10
10

replacement windows
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure there are many experiences with that outfit in this group....
14
14

Workaround Basement Insulation for electrical work.
Hi: A fellow I know has a relatively new home (3 year old?) with a poured foundation. The exterior walls of the un-finished part of the basement are covered with some kind of "foil" covered product...
8
8

oven turns itself on!!!
stove has been working fine. Awoke to smoke alarm going off and oven on high. Igniter constantly lit and the oven on full blast. No amount of fiddling around with oven control affected it, finally...
6
6

Weird GFI problem - wired correctly but not tripping
I have a Leviton GFI in my bathroom which I happened to test today with my little 3 prong/3 lamp tester. The socket shows as being wired correctly (2 yellow lights, no red) but pressing the...
22
22

Fans : How many blades?
I was shopping for a ceiling fan at a light store (not a big box no nothing store), and was told by the salesman that a three bladed fan pushed more air than a four or five bladed fan. Didn't make...
28
28

Update to: Leak in my basement (found the source)
UPDATE: Well, I opened up the wall and found the source of the leak. There was crack in the concrete wall that had been caulked over. It rained a couple of times today and water poured out of the...
16
16

Varnish of my dreams--found!
After much arduous searching, I've found it, my Xanadu, my Shangri-la, the sine qua non of varnish. And all the time it was available right at my little local Ace Hardware store. Some background:...
30
30

Motion security light recommendation (to replace old low end Heath-Zenith)
One of my low-end Home Depot Heath-Zenith Motion Security Lights just went bad after about 5 years. The light sensor stopped working though the motion sensor and lights themselves work fine (see below...
6
6

threaded wire connectors
Hi, I've recently realized that I don't feel comfortable making wire nut connections with threaded wire. I can actually make a mean connection with solid wires that professional electricians...
39
39