Drill Repair

Finally got up my courage, and pull apart my Metabo corded half inch hammer drill. It died, with no aparent reason, a couple weeks ago. I'd been using my Skil 3/8 drill, for installing deadbolts. Finally ground the gears so it doesn't work. Installing deadbolts is a bit too rough on the Skil, I guess.

Turns out the white wire broke, about an inch from the plug. That was easy. And I spent all this time worried about it. Sigh.

Lucky me, doesn't have to go spend money and buy a new drill. In 1985, I paid over $200 for this drill. One like this, somewhat, at Walmart about $75. And $26 at Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nice post for helping others.

My dead hammer drill just needed the dust blown out of the switch when I took mine apart. I thought for sure I had killed it.

That was 15 years ago and I still use it.

Reply to
Colbyt

You mean one that *looks* like the Metabo. The ones at Walmart and Harbor Freight are not in the same class as each other and certainly not in the same class as your Metabo. Not all hammer drills are created equal. Skil is better than the Harbor freight and might be what you are looking at at Walmart, but no where near the quality of Metabo, FWIS. The closest you will get at the big box stores to your Metabo is Milwaukee or Hitachi. DeWalt has gone down severely in quality in the last few years after being bought by B&D. I had an 18v cordless drill for just over a year before it was stolen. Actually I had THREE drills in just over a year. The first one lost the clutch. The second one burned up and lost the clutch. Not one of them had a clutch that worked properly and the "locking" chuck did not lock. It was often dropping drill bits. The Milwaukee that replaced it works flawlessly!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Yes, I'm sure glad you were able to fix yours. I may buy another drill at HF, just to have a spare. But, it's good to have my Metabo working again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, I meant one that's about the same size and function as the Metabo. The looks are similar only in that they are the same general class of drill.

After having the gears strip out in my Skil (the skinny spiral gear coming off the motor) I realize it's easy to over work a cheap drill. I've done some serious drilling with my Metabo, and the gears still feel good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Note to self: Milwaukee is a good brand.

Actually, my 12 volt cordless Drill Master from HF, have served me for several years. They come with a stupid charger. I charge them only when they get weak, and then for about two hours.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd buy a used "name brand" drill off CL or similar (There are lots on there) before I'd get the junky electrics from HF. Even a 'Black Friday' Craftsman drill would be better and probably no more $$

Reply to
Rudy

I had forgot about Craigslist. Thank you, that's a very good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just remember to stay away from the guy who wants to meet you in the parking lot to sell "his" Hole Hog" for thirty bucks....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Si, sen~or. Yo comprendo.