Subject Author Posted Replies

What's the best floodlight with motion detector.
I live in the last house in a line of townhouse. The HOA wanted me or the guy whose building is at right angles to mine to put up a motion-detector controlled floodlight. I volunteered so that I could...
8
8

Tile flooring in bathroom
What is the best under layment cushioning for tile. I have seen a coat of such at a place I frequent. I have tile, but I want to put down a soft under layer over the old wood and then be able to...
2
2

Electric log splitters
Am considering an electric log splitter. I see many in the 7-ton range state they run on 110v circuits. Yet none specify how many amps they draw. Will I need 20A to keep things safe?
14
14

CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538
Since this seems to be a fairly hot topic here I thought I'd give it another little shove. (And I hope Don Klipstein responds, as he seems to be one of the most knowledgeable folks here in this...
105
105

Cutting metal downspouts
What do guys use to cut metal downspouts? I tried a hacksaw and while it cut, it took awhile and gave me an uneven cut. Also, what is used to make the ends fit into elbows and such? Is there a special...
11
11

Unpredictable Roof Leak
Our friends cottage has developed a leak in the shingle roof of the screened porch part of their cottage. The leak isn't heavy, and is less likely to occur during a rainstorm but rather at off...

OT - Nomad water sprayer test
Quick product test, before dashing out the door. Open the package, looks fairly straight forward. Put the unit under the tub faucet, and fill a bit with cold water. Instructions say cold water only....

Unfreezing drips
Ten-year-old Kenmore (Sears) refrigerator model 60992 (autoo-defroster, no ice maker) now drips from the freezer compartment. Space between its liner and outer shell is filled with ice (3 or 4 mm.)...
2
2

How to fix a perma-squealing B&D 16" corded e-ic hedge trimmer
I actually have two with the same problem. They run fine, but they now also squeal without relent. Can I take it apart and get it to stop the noise?
10
10

grill as a fire pit
Hi, I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I...
10
10

OT... GPS's
Do you own one, if so, what brand? Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm blue in the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on NewEgg, any suggestions for...
54
54

Counter-tops: What's next after granite?
Are you guys seeing alternatives to granite these days as something "in"? My eyes are starting to gloss over when I see brand new kitchens put in with this and other stone that just seems somehow...
46
46

Underground electrical conduit
I was blessed with about 800' of 2.5" underground pvc, which I intend to use to run power to my shop area, about 150' from the house. My ground is all blowsand mixed with lava rocks from fist...
3
3

Seal/Stain New Pressure Treated Fence?
I installed a new pressure treated fence in May and now I'm thinking about sealing/staining to 1) protect it from water and 2) protect it from fading too fast from the sun. Question - what's...
7
7

POPCORN CEILING REPAIR
I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to texture the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint...
21
21