Subject Author Posted Replies

Read this advice before re-roofing and rain gutter installation.
If you=92re going to install or replace rain gutters or going to re- roof I strongly recommend using gutter hangers that have a strap. Try to avoid using the other types of hangers as much as...
1
1

adding an audio jack to an electrical box
Hi, I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the...
10
10

problem replacing ceiling fan/light with light fixture
I'm trying to replace a ceiling fan/light fixture with just a light fixture. There are separate wall switches for the light and fan (both are also three-way). I didn't notice how the old fixture was...
11
11

Share our blessings
This is to wish all the good people on this NG Happy Holidays and a New Year of peace, health and prosperity. At this holiday seasons, let us share our blessings with poor Bradley Manning, who is...
28
28

GE "BAD LINE" Error Message (2023 Update)
As my wife was preparing dinner a short while ago, she encountered a loud beep and a scrolling "BAD LINE" message on our new GE electric stove. According to the GE web site (their Answer Center is not...
32
32

Cat Doors
I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall rather than the door. I'd like to avoid some obvious problems,...
77
77

Vacant property causes cracked sewer pipes?
I participate in a real estate investor discussion group and the topic came up about old cast iron sewer pipes tending to crack in properties that have been vacant for a long time. One theory offered...
7
7

Loose refrigerator door handle
The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?
12
12

Premium GFI outlets?
Was looking for a new GFI outlet for the bathroom. Went to the local big box hardware store. Saw a GFI brand selling for about $7. Saw another brand, costing about $12 that said it was a "premium"...
5
5

Looking for clear lap cement.
I need a product that has the same thickness and consistency and waterproof quality as lap cement but is clear or transparent and not black or runny like Thompson=92s. If anyone has any ideas I would...
3
3

LED Flashlight Emergency Light Combo at Costco
Just found a great product at Costco. It's a rechargable LED flashlight with a charger base that plugs into a wall outlet. With the flashlight on the base, it also serves as an emergency light. When...
1
1

cleaning out espresso coffee machine
I have a solenoid type espresso machine which seems to be completely blocked up I can hear the pump pumping and water comes out of the wand so the pump is clearly working but nothing comes out of the...
8
8

Flat Screen TVs
I know, not really a home repair question, but I don't know of a better place for this. Surprise! For Christmas, I now have a beautiful 47" flat screen TV. This is to replace my 10 year old 36" JVC...
31
31

Spray painting speaker grills
Hi, I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers. I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few more...
5
5

Why aren't many / most LED light bulbs dimmable?
I'm seeing more LED lightbulbs turning up on store shelves. I don't think I've seen one yet that is ok to use with a dimmer switch. I can understand why CFL's can't be put on a dimmer - but why not...
122
122