12 volt impact wrench

Page 3 of 3

The 110 volter I got from Harbor Freight was about 200 rated, and it's worked very nicely for me. Used it several times. $39.99 and worth every penny.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

the only thing stopping me from buying one of those is not having an electric outlet available in the apt. parking lot and too far a distance for extension cords.
IIRC,it's 240 ft-lbs. (and $39.99 is the sale price.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

big 750 Watt inverters are pretty cheap these days...get one that is at least twice the rated value of the impact wrench so it will start it reliably. I think an AC wrench and inverter would work much better than the 12 Volt job. A big inverter will draw LOTS of current , hook it directly to the battery, not to the cig lighter and maybe leave the engine running while using it.
Mark

A couple farmers I know have them. 18 volt though, I think. Both like them. One tightened up the lug nuts on a pivot tire (7/8" nut). They were tight when he was done. I put my breaker bar on them to check.
Dean
-

the 18V ones are cordless ones similar to a cordless drill/driver. The one the OP is referring to runs off the cig lighter or has clamps to clip onto the 12 car battery posts.
The 18V ones have more beats-per-minute,and more torque(IIRC,230Ft-lbs compared to 150 for the 12v corded driver)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Impact wrenches (all types: pneumatic, manual, electric) WORK.
They are safer than leverage when it comes to loosening nuts/bolts. OTOH than can easily over-tighten.
In the "bad old days" the professionals used a "Cross" wrench. This always seemed to work a lot better than the wrench than was provided by the manufacturer.
Why?
Because the "cross wrench" worked a little like an impact wrench!
Impact wrenches are very good at breaking loose a nut/bolt. Once a nut/bold is loose the pneumatic are very effective at spinning a nut/bolt off. A manual impact wrench acts like any other wrench. An electric impact wrench is likely to be on the slow side until the nut/bolt is quite loose.
Impact wrenches (all types: pneumatic, manual, electric) WORK. CY: That's my experience.
They are safer than leverage when it comes to loosening nuts/bolts. OTOH than can easily over-tighten. CY: Same, here.
In the "bad old days" the professionals used a "Cross" wrench. This always seemed to work a lot better than the wrench than was provided by the manufacturer. CY: Ah, yes, the X-wrench, as I improperly call em.
Why?
Because the "cross wrench" worked a little like an impact wrench! CY: We must be talking about different things.
http://static.zoovy.com/img/usfreight/W180-H180-Bffffff/8806elugwrench.jpg
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/5216148.JPG
You mean this?
Impact wrenches are very good at breaking loose a nut/bolt. Once a nut/bold is loose the pneumatic are very effective at spinning a nut/bolt off. A manual impact wrench acts like any other wrench. An electric impact wrench is likely to be on the slow side until the nut/bolt is quite loose. CY: Yep, they start slow, and then pick up speed.