Subject Author Posted Replies

Best Weatherstripping?
I live in an old house. Much of the weatherstripping on the doors is felt or springy metal. At the local Lowes / HD all you can find is the self-adhesive foam strips which last about one year -- or...
8
8

Chronic plumbing problems
Lately, it has been nothing but one plumbing problem after another in my house. My toilet valve doesn't always close completely, and will sometimes drip-drip-drip into the lower bowl until the next...
4
4

gas hob ignition
Sounds like the electronic ignition module has failed. I have a similar problem, a new module costing me almost $80!. It mounts on the back of the propane range, is about the size of a pkg of American...
2
2

Heating oil prices give the shivers
"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels this winter, precipitated by higher costs for...
18
18

PVC Suggestions/Help Requested MAPP Gas Question
2 Part Question: I have had to fix several PVC pipes in my home. The first was probably the result of a frozen pipe in the main pipe to my home. It was roughly a 300 feet run of pipe wth the break...
7
7

sistering joists
some time ago i inquired about fastening some steel plate to the sides of some 100+ year old, full dimension, rough cut oak floor joists to stiffen them up. I've decided to sister them with like sized...
46
46

Hot tub wiring
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50 feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside. This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have...
8
8

Humor: About retirees
Retirement ! Question: How many days in a week? Answer: 6 Saturdays, 1 Sunday Question: When is a retiree's bedtime? Answer: Three hours after he falls asleep on the couch. Question: How many retirees...
12
12

Would this be a weak Pole Transformer?
I was at the tire shop the other day and had to use the restroom. While in the restroom the lights suddenly went to half brightness, and I heard their air compressor kick on in the shop. When I went...
9
9

Chain Saw Lathe
Check this out. The chain saw supplies the power to spin the post while cutting it. At about 4:30 into the video he shows how he uses a weighted board to slow the post down so the chainsaw will cut...
1
1

Opinions: Lumber Lok Tri-Vise
Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes. Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a foot on it, and cut. I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy...
12
12

Charging a Battery Booster Pack
I bought one of those Battery Booster packs at an auction. I did not come with the charger, which is one of those wall-wart transformers, rated at 12v (I looked it up online). Since I dont know if...
37
37

Cement question
A contractor had to cut into my basement floor, and filled the gap with new cement. Where the new cement meets the old there's a thick brown line. He said this is impossible to avoid, it's a moisture...
33
33

hardwood floor refinish
I had my floors professionally done six years ago. They looked great for 4 years. Then I got two dogs... Now, they still look barely good, they polyurethane is almost gone. I know how to fill in some...
23
23

Faucet key 3/8 inch
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole in the end. Here is one such: another such....
14
14