1 or 2 outlets for 4 foot bathroom vanity sink/cabinet

Doing a bathroom reno. Just curious any requirements for outlets for a

4 foot vanity? I know the code is you can put an outlet anywhere as long as it is within 3 foot of the edge of the sink, but I was thinking putting one on each side of the vanity. Any issues with this?
Reply to
Mikepier

thats what i did, one duplex outlet on either side....

reason hair dryer curling iron radio etc

Reply to
bob haller

We did that. Sometimes I think that isn't enough.

Reply to
George

I'll join the rest. YES, as a minimum. It is hard to get too many outlets.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I am not very observant:( actually I have two double boxes on either side the first outlet fed by a GFCI. I did that upgrade over 15 years ago..... time flies...

it costs little to have extra outlets if your doing the job yourself

Reply to
bob haller

i'll second the notion for a yes answer. BUT put them on two different circuits. That way there's never a problem running two 1500 watt hair dryers at the same time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The panel is already almost maxed out. I was lucky enough to get 1 new circuit in there for the bathroom, but your suggestion is a valid one.

Thanks for everyones input.

Reply to
Mikepier

a thorough analysis would probably find several circuits that could be doubled up with others if you need to make room for dedicated breakers. Or use mini's if your panel allows it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have my TV, radio, wireless speaker adapter (that receives sound from the computer), and Powermid TV remote control transmitter plugged in all the time.

And I used to plug in an electric toothbrush,

Not all of these will run at the same time, and some use next to no currrent, but who wants to keep plugging and unplugging.

I'll bet there are other things too, especially if someone else lives there too. I don't think 2 duplex is necessarily enough.

Reply to
micky

Also make sure they're 20 amp Heavy duty outlets feed by a 20 amp circuit.

Reply to
Congoleum Breckenridge

20A circuit, sure. Why a 20A outlet?

- The pins on the cord are only rated for 15A - 20A plugs have a different pin configuration (one rotated 90 degrees) - 20A outlets are only rated for 20A for 20A plugs (see above) - 15A outlets are rated for 20A pass through

Just buy good outlets ($2, not $.29).

Reply to
krw

Actually, a 20 amp T-Slot receptacle can be used for both 15 and 20 amp cord ends. Used primarily for kitchen counter circuits so that we can provide GFCI protection in proximity to sinks, it would also work well in a bathroom application.

Reply to
homemaintenanceconsulting

This line eludes me. Pass 20A through to the next receptacle?? but not to something plugged in to the 15A outlet?

Reply to
micky

. =A0aesthetically, more may detract from the overall look. =A0It is always= a delicate balance between function and looks.

hower, unless local rules make a separate provision.

That's what grd fault outlets are for.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I can't remember for sure, but I think the national Electrical Code says something about switches and outlets not being permitted within 48 inches of a shower or tub (or something like that). The idea is so that people standing in a shower or tub won't be able to reach the switch or outlet. I don't think the fact that the outlet is GFCI would change that requirement even though GFCI's are required in bathrooms.

Reply to
TomR

ends. Used primarily for kitchen counter circuits so that we can provide GFCI protection in proximity to sinks, it would also work well in a bathroom application.

krw was not questioning the 20 amp circuit, just the 20 amp receptacles, as they are not required by the Nec. His point was that a decent quality

15 amp receptacle will suffice
Reply to
RBM

There is actually no such requirement in the Nec

Reply to
RBM

Typical duplex receptacles are designed to be daisy-chained together. The conductive buss of a 15 amp duplex receptacle is rated for 20 amps, so you can chain a bunch of 15 amp outlets along a 20 amp cable.

Reply to
RBM

The cord end is either 15A or 20A. The 20A variety has a different configuration. Using a 20A receptacle makes no sense unless you're going to use 20A plugs.

Huh? That sentence makes no sense. WTF does GFCI have to do with the receptacle type?

Reply to
krw

Yes. The contacts are rated for 15A but the receptacle is rated for 20A total (both outlets or pass-thru). In reality, it's about the plug, not the receptacle. A 15A receptacle will *only* handle a 15A plug. 20A receptacles will accommodate both 15A and 20A plugs.

Reply to
krw