Replace rotary sprinkler head

I need to replace Rainbird rotary sprinkler heads (R50). The sprinkler guy said I can do it myself - just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one.
Do I need to dig around it to the pipe to do it? If not, how can I make sure when I remove the old one that dirt does not fall into the hole?
Please, help me with any tips on how to do this.
Thanks!
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Inside the head there is a filter which can be removed y itself. Like the guy said unscre the old when ground is pretty dry and install new one. Clean the filter in case dirt got sucked in.