Removing small roots from lawn

Page 1 of 2
I'm transplanting some grass from healthy areas of my lawn that I'm trimming back, to thin areas in several spots. The grass is thin and not really growing probably due to rocky soil (heavy gravel left there from preconstruction) and also probably due to shallow roots from some pines. If I'm cutting up small areas (several feet square in several places) how do I best cut out these roots? They are 1/4" to maybe 3/4" in size. Tried a tree pruning saw but it curves the wrong way. Other saws, or something else altogether?
jeffc wrote:

are you trying to kill the trees?

Why bother transplanting bad turf? Where do you live?
jeffc said:

And, you're transplanting some sort of 'magic' grass, that will ignore, and somehow overcome the fate of it's predecessor?

If the pines are still there, I'd venture a guess that you'd find /most/ of their roots, "shallow".

Why would you want to cut them out? They're there for a reason, you know. The trees' roots are shallow because that's where the food is (and the water, and the air, etc). If they're actually pines, that may be part of the problem. Pine needles can raise the acidity of the soil to levels that most grasses just can't tolerate. So, the transplanted sod will die for the same reasons the old sod was dying, and the trees will suffer damage, for no reason at all. Seems pretty much a waste of time, energy, and sod 'transplanted from the healthy areas of your lawn'.

Add some quality, fine compost, and maybe a bit of lime? (A soil test would be a good idea). Oh, and if you /really/ want nice turf under your pines, get a lawn vac that will pick up the needles. ;)
--

Eggs

Do Amish people get one phone call when arrested?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Forgtaboutit. Grass and pines donut mix very well.
I have a lot of pines and very nice grass.
James
Forgtaboutit. Grass and pines donut mix very well.

How high are the limbs over your nice grass?

The limbs are very high over all the grass. 90% of the grass looks great. The grass only has small patches that are bad in an overall nice back lawn. The transplanting I've done so far has worked fine. I just need to get out some roots so I can dig out some of the gravel and get some good dirt in those patches. Everywhere there is decent soil the grass is doing fine.
For crissakes people, yes I know what roots are for. If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer, but this is pretty annoying.
jeffc said:

Your question was answered. I also gave you an alternative solution, which would be more beneficial to your lawn, as well as your trees. Apparently, you missed it (or you're determined to damage your trees).
--

Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.

No, I don't need a lawn vac because pine needles aren't a problem. I don't need compost because the grass I'm transplanting comes with 3" of it's own "compost" - it's healthy grass with enough dirt underneath transplanted with it. This tactic has worked fine for me whenever I've tried it, and no it's not "magic" grass and no the transplanted grass doesn't "suffer the same fate".
jeffc said:

Sure they are. You just don't understand chemistry. That's cool. =)

Ok. Then why do you need to cut the roots? You should be able to just lay the sod right over them. It's the lesser of the two evils. You don't understand trees, either.

No shit? I was being facetious.

It will, if you don't get a grip on the acidity. Of course, the falling tree could do more damage than the acid, I'll give ya that.
--

Eggs

-I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

He's determined to do it "his way" and he doesn't want to hear that it's not good for the tree to cut the feeder roots or that the grass will probably die anyway. He just wants to know of an easy way to do it. Jeffc. Go rent a sidewalk edger. cut the roots in the pattern you want and then use the sod cutter to lift the feeder roots in sections. Then put down your sod and watch the grass and trees die. I've never done this but I'm sure it will work.
Why do people have nice trees and then insist on killing them because they don't like what nature does?

It's called "landscaping". Check it out sometime.
jeffc wrote:

Well, you seem to already know all the answers. Why bring it here?
jeffc said:

No, it's not. It's called piss-poor planning. "Landscaping" would entail mulching the trees out to their driplines. This would be the end of the dying and thinning grass problems, due to the pH of the soil being off, for the proper environment for the sod. But, I'm sure your trailer will look just fine with the grass around the dying trees. =)
--

Eggs

-A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says: "A

You don't have a clue my friend. You didn't listen to a word I said and you have no idea what I'm talking about. You only want to say what your preconceived ideas are that fit your limited experience. Just stay out of the conversation next time.
jeffc said:

I have much more of a clue than you do, which becomes more obvious with each post you make. Keep entertaining us, please.

Oh, I've listened, with great amusement, to the fact that *you* have no idea what you're talking about. Again, this becomes more obvious with each post you make.

My 'preconceived ideas' follow industry standards. Your 'preconceived ideas' begin and end in your own little, feeble mind. Your lack of experience with flora showed with your OP, and continues to show each time you hit the send button.

If you want me 'out of the conversation', killfile me. Otherwise, kiss my ass. I'll be in the conversation as long as you keep spewing drivel.
--

Eggs

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

No clue whatsoever what the hell I'm talking about. Keep assuming, and posting bullshit.

Because the grass sod coming in has 4 inches of dirt with it, and I can't dig out 4" of dirt with the roots there. Do you understand how to transplant healthy grass?

No, it won't. Been working for years. You act like pine needles fall in one little 4 foot square on the lawn and magically avoid the rest. Frankly, you don't seem too bright.