Filling bald areas in lawn

Our front lawn looks pretty nice except for a couple of bald areas, where one sees mainly dirt. What is the best way to patch the areas with grass? Would spreading grass seed and fertilizer on those areas work well? We live in Western Washington. Thanks.

Reply to
tenplay

I mix up some potting soil, starter fertilizer and grass seed in my garden cart. At each bar spot I use a 3-tined cultivator to rough up the ground, apply some of the mixture, stamp it down. And then water, water, water. The potting soil has a lot of peat moss in it so it holds the water fairly well, but grass seed must be kept damp in order to sprout.

Reply to
Stubby

It sounds like it would be better to wait until the fall when the rainy season is back in force. Of course it never stops raining for long in the NW. I'm just thinking that we will go on a couple of trips during the summer when the grass won't be getting watered frequently. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
tenplay

I find patching from seed a waste of time. If it's too hot or too dry the seed will not germinate and there is a good chance a bunch of weeds will germinate too. I just go to the garden center an buy rolls of sod for $4.00. Within a week the sod roots itself, viloa!

tenplay wrote:

Reply to
Sir Topham Hat

Sod must be kept damp, also. Digging out the old turf and preparing the subsoil is far more work that I want.

Reply to
Stubby