Lawnmowers with recycling

I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric) and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you. J. G. Evans, Derbyshire.

Reply to
John G Evans

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for blade speed when mulching.

Reply to
Steveo

My little electric mower is supposed to be a mulching one. I suppose it really was just too cheap to include a bag. It seems to do an ok job mulching but maybe the pieces are too big?

The OP should really give some idea of the size of the area to be mowed. My little yard doesn't need more than a small electric mower.

Reply to
dgk

Yes, they're junk.

Reply to
Steveo

I have a Honda Harmony 215 about 10 years now, gas powered and am very happy with it. It does an excellent job of mulching. Unless the grass is overgrown, the clippings just disappear.

Reply to
trader4

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

Reply to
Art

Until you cut grass with it. A gasoline powered mulching mower will cut circles around an electric model.

Reply to
Steveo

*insert Tim Allen grunt* "URRRGH?"

That *entirely* depends on the speed in which the shaft of the engine rotates. Plus, an electric motor will struggle *much* more with taller grass that a gas-powered engine will. This will slow the electric motor down, thereby decreasing the blade speed.

No? =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Blade tip speed should be the same under no load at roughly 19,000 ft per minute. The motor RPMs and blade length are figured and designed to reach that speed or very close to it. Obviously a gas mower is more powerful than an electric one and can handle more load. But I would say that power is more of a factor than blade speed when it comes to ability to mulch. There are some lighter grasses in small yards where an electric mower will mulch just fine. The OP didn't give enough info on yard size and grass type and the reply was just, well crap, IMO.

Reply to
Art

And you can't cut circles with an electric mower. The cord gets in the way.

Reply to
willshak

Good point. :)

Reply to
Steveo

You can one circle. :)

Reply to
Art

Do they have a GFI?

Reply to
Steveo

I have a new Bolens mower with a B&S engine. It is a mulcher, I don't use the rear bagger. Does well on St. Augustine and Bermuda grass regarding mulching. However, there is very fine bladed grass on the property it cuts, but doesn't mulch very well. I like the fact is does not have a side discharge, can border cut with either side of the mower.

Keep the blade sharp, and the underside of the deck free of debris to do mulching effectively. When washing any petrol engine mower down, disconnect the spark plug. The spark plug connector and spark plug are of dissimilar metals. This leads to corrosion if water is left at the spark plug and connector location. Will make the engine less responsive, or, at worst, won't run at all. Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Aug 2, 7:33 pm, Eggs Zachtly

Not ever having an electric mower, your comment raised a question. Electric edgers often use a dc motor, which maintains mostly constant speed with varying loads. It seems this would also work with electric mowers, or am I missing something?

KC

Reply to
KC