Re: Tomato blight in Pa?

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:18:42 +0000, RF wrote:

This is most likely NOT blight. The larger leaves are the ones that have turned yellow. This is a sign of low nitrogen levels. The plant will 'steal' nitrogen from older leaves so younger ones can be produced. In the third photo, one can plainly see aphids. The plant's fluids are being consumed by these creatures. As far as the slowing of the plant's growth, this could be due to the season starting to come to a close. The days are becoming shorter and the plant is trying to ripen it's fruit.
What I would reccommend: 1 Fertilize the plant with liquid fertilizer. Not heavily. Too much will cause the plant more stress. 2 Remove the aphids. Purchase an insecticidal soap (I use consurn... wrong spelling?). Use as directed. It may take a few times to clean all of them off. 3 Pinch off the younger, non-producing stems. No reason to grow stems that will never produce fruit. Remove all dead leaves.
Good Luck.......
Thank you I will try that... RF