Need Advice Push Mower

Hello-
I have a Craftsman push mower that is about 5 years old. The governor speed control does not stay steady anymore. I start the mower up and the governor pulses for a few seconds and then the mower stalls. What seems to be the problem here and what can I do w/o having to bring this in for service? Dirty carburator? Bad governor spring?
Thanks for the advice!!
dirty carb.if you take it off,take a snapshot so you know how it goes back on.
What kind of motor is it? If it is a BS spray some carb cleaner in the air intake. If it a Techumse it is the jet in the bottom of the bowl. I hate them things. Hope it is a BS.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

I agree. Tecumseh carburetors SUCK.
Guitarist511 wrote:

Most Craftsmen mowers use Tecumseh engines, and most of those have a float type carb. Assuming the above describes your mower, take off the bowl nut, it goes straight up into the bottom of the carb. Do not take off the bowl itself, just let it hang there. Look very closely at the bowl nut for a couple of tiny holes. If it has them go get some 2+2 carb cleaner and clean them out. While you are doing this let all the gas drain out. If it doesn't have any holes in it then put the nut back on. Go get FRESH gas from the gas station (not what's in your gas can left over from last season), refill the mower and see if it will run. If so pat yourself on the back, you just saved yourself a few bucks. If it still doesn't run right take it to the shop so they can do a thorough job of cleaning the carb.
--
Art