MTD Mowers

I am looking for a new riding mower as you all know by now , if you have been reading this newsgroup . How are MTD mowers ? What brands do they actually make ? Will they hold up to 1 1/2 acres of rural Iowa lawn ? If so, how many years is your prediction ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Several here have already advised you to steer clear of these types of lawn tractors but you can easily go to

and see for yourself what brands they make. (Cub Cadet which used to be a very good brand is now counted among those owned by MTD and I doubt they're anything as good as they once were) As for a years of service prediction, why ask for guesses? A guess has no merit lol. I have a Bolens ( Now one of MTD's brands) 15.5 horse that is serving me well but I don't have any delusions that it compares to a $2500 john deere nor do I have 1.5 acres of rural lawn to tackle. Mine serves more for pulling my chipper/shredder, trailer, dethatcher etc. It also allows me to mow my lawn without trying to push a mower which is something I can no longer do, owing to back issues. If I were needing to mow an acre or more and could even have considered $2000 as a budget I wouldn't have given this tractor so much as a passing glance.

joe

Reply to
JoeT

MTD.com is not the page that you think that it is. Or were you really meaning for me to go to Mike Doughney's page for a reason ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

You're right it's

it's been some time since I'd been there.

Reply to
JoeT

At 1/3 price of a Deere, you can have a new tractor every 10 years and CAN beat the balls off of it!

Every 10 years..

JUST LUV IT!

Reply to
Stanley

Hi Iowa: ok I live in DSM IA by drake so comments about "rural" might be off course also mine are vint 93 (flood). I bought a 46/ MTD/Monkeyward 20 hp briggs back in winter 93 with snow blower attach for less than 2k Apx 50/50) and have used since. Like mach so well bought another exact like it for 850 new from monkey in say 95 (winter trac) takes day to switchj use first 1 mow 1 acre every week 3+ acre every 3 - 5 wks as needed bought snow blade grass catcher bumper sun umb 6 sets blades monkey when outa busn $4 set as well as when CT farm & country folded W Miss. except for 'normal" repairs ( filters belts blades oil plugs (1 once) 2? yrs ago) spent $100 on starter (burnt out with 500 amp car start at -20F) front axcel($20) front major axcel (35) @ 1/2 hr fix and

2 idler pulleys (15) stamped USSR. So for less than 4 k have 2 trac/decks 2 snow blades 2 grass catcher bumper chains sun bonnet 46 blower etc. Hard 2 buy green at that price plus mention push snow 5 block plus street mow commty lots several times plus move wood dirt etc around stead (1.5) acre.

Buy older several (parts) avoid green IMHO

Part guy said cheap on parts.

Pat R

Iowa883 wrote:

Reply to
prothlauf

Reply to
Frank Knight

I bought the cheapest MTD at Farm and Fleet 15 years ago. I have 1 acre. Very dependable and a good cutter.

Reply to
Vang48

If you want to be happy and not spend all day mowing just 1 1/2 acres get a zero radius mower with a good ground speed that will last 10 to 15 years or more. You will have to pay much more but your butt and lawn will be happy. The commercial "John Deere" produced John Deere mowers run about 5400 up MSRP. Some of the John Deere and other name brands are produced by a tangle of manufacturers to meet price points and you have to weed through their weaknesses and good points.

Reply to
jaberwokie

Dixie Chopper is making a Residential model this year. I don't think it can be beat. They say the fastest mower built. It even has a stainless steel deck.

It is made here in West Central Indiana. They have a plant in Greencastle Ind.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly