Gears or Hydrostat ?

I was wonderng what you all thought about a riding mower with gears versus hydrostats ? Is there any advantage to the old fashion gears ? I am looking at the maint. aspect . Plus and minus of each would be appreciated. Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Gears really limit your ability to vary your speed. To speed up and slow down you've got to CONSTANTLY work the throttle. Lots of wear on the motor and drive train.

Variable drive allows a single lever to control your speed WITHOUT altering the motor RPM. The governor runs the motor at one speed REGARDLESS of load. Minimal wear on the motor and drive train.

Puddles

Reply to
puddles

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

the hydros in the cheeper tractors have been very problematic,. in that respect gears would be better.but the hydro is easier to operate. lucas

Reply to
ds549

On 6/24/2005 9:19 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I haven't had any problems with the hydro in my Murray built garden tractor and it has been in use for 10 years in all seasons, mowing and blowing, here in the NE USA.

Reply to
willshak

Had the 6 gears, got a new hydro..Just Luv it...Keep your hand on the shifter, no throttle nor brake neeed..Speed up anytine without stopping to change gears

Just LUV it!

Reply to
Stanley