Humberto

Woke up this mornin' with an awful racket like two kids under the bed fightin' with aluminum swords. Beam had busted on the carport and was bangin' against the thin aluminum roofing panels. Tried patchin' it together after Rita. Gonna hafta replace the whole carport.

Front yard covered with pine limbs all over 10". I've been thinkin' 'bout taking down the three pines in the front but just can't bring myself to do it.

Got out the chipper, loppers, rakes etc. Up at 5:30 this mornin' and put up the chipper about 7:00pm. (I'm old and crippled and have to take a lotta coffee breaks. It takes me all night long to do what I used to do all night long.) Have a pile of big stuff for the debris truck and a big pile of pine mulch.

Kinda tore up the hibiscus and roses, but nothin' that won't grow back. Only a cat 1 hurricane. Rearranged some outdoor furniture. About 10 or 12 big palm fronds down in the back yard. Nothin' like Rita, which put 56 fronds on the ground. Rita was bad. Real bad.

South East Texas. Nederland. Bum and Wade Phillips. Tex and John Ritter. Kevin Everett (close by in Port Arthur)(he might miss the wheelchair).

Y'all take care. God bless.

Reply to
xPosTech

up here in NC we're in the middle of the worse drought in my lifetime and according to the record keeping the worst on record here since 1933.

've been tracking the remains of Humberto and hope this Farm gets some rain from what's left of the storm. the soybean crop is just about toast. I do believe it is only by the grace of God Himself there is anything left of the 2007 bean crop. if it rains here tomorrow it'd be just like God to be right on time with exactly what I need.

we got hit by a strange wind shear here about three weeks ago and with over 25 acres of forest land I'm still collecting the remains of hardwoods that were converted into firewood.

I do tree removal as a side to my landscaping.

after realizing how limbs over 4.5" are really firewood I purchased a DR chipper. here are some pictures of the DR I put on my webpage.

It takes me all night long to do what I used to

I been using the DR to chip wild cherry. makes a beautiful flower bed mulch and customers love it.

[....]

that's right and when sharpening blades one needs to take care the take the temper out of the metal.

bless U2 Ted, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Nice DR very nice

tll

Reply to
tom&sue

snip->

Nice presentation on blade sharpening.

I bought a 6" bench grinder earlier this spring to sharpen my lawn mower blade. It was fairly easy on the first side, as in your illustration, ie right side of the grinder. (although I hadn't worked out a good solution to hold the angle as you have) My grinder came with a wire brush on the left side. When I went to sharpen the other side of the blade I... I... well I got confused as to how to go about it upside down.

Your grinder appears to have a finer wheel on the left side. How do you handle sharpening the other side of the blade?

Reply to
DS

thanks. back when I first got my digital camera and then being set free from the cost of film I took lots of pictures of most everything.

I can go into my picture folders and look at the dates of the pictures and tell when equipment maintenance was done. while looking at a picture of the 302 motor in the F150 I noticed a vacuum line disconnected. went back out to the truck and sure enough the picture did not lie, so I reconnected the line.

that wire brush comes in real handy for removing the sticky buildup wild onions leave on a blade. every spring it's always the same tough job of removing that stuck on wild onion goo.

both ends of the blade are sharpened on the right side wheel of the grinder. with your grinder not running place one cutting edge of a blade up next to the grinder wheel. now lift the blade up and rotate the blade from it's center mounting hole to simulate the same rotation the blade would make while bolted to the spindle on the mower. after one full rotation notice how the other cutting edge of the blade is now just above the same right side grinder wheel.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks so much for the reply. I went right out to test it and it surely works. I couldn't renact my earlier dilemma try as I could. I don't know what I was thinking, then.

Thanks aga>

Reply to
DS

you are most welcome.

Reply to
Jim

Shall we have tea and a biscuit, now? Indeed, we must!

=P

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

[....]