How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

Page 3 of 4
aemeijers wrote:

I even have some in the garage. Two kinds, hornets and those black with white stripes. Funniest thing. No matter if they are trapped inside or outside, they patiently wait for me to open the garage door every morning so they can tend their nests. If I leave during the day and close the door, there are there when open it to go in or out. They fly by me, sometimes stop and look for a minute then move on. Every herd of such a thing? I'm amazed.
--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!

Bees, other than carpenter bees, yes, live and let live. Wasps, yes, no problems with them. Hornets (and carpenter bees) die, no discussions. Nukes come out, if necessary.

My wife doesn't fare well with bee stings, but it's not that critical, or at least hasn't been.

Since I've moved to CO, I've encountered some bizarre species of wasps/YJs/bees. Howzabout a wasp the size of a bumblebee and colored like a holstein cow and furry! Or lil' bitty bees no bigger'n a small house fly nesting in an old decorative log. I've seen a wasp the size of a mosquito. Didn't know if it was a separate speies or jes an infant wasp. Whatever the reason, CO elevation seems to be enviornment numero uno for weird winged stingy things.

I once thought I was allergic. Now think I'm not. when some stingy thingie gets me, the pain is nonexistent to tolerable and only lasts a day at most. The real problem is the itching. Last sting, I itched so badly for 3 wks, I wanted to chop my foot off!
nb

The tiny wasps probably are mud-daubers. They fill any available tiny hole to put their larvae in.

Find the entrance. Get your Wet Vac out and place the suction hose close to the entrance. Turn the vacuum on and go get a cup of coffee. Read the newspaper.Get the aerosol hornet killer out and shoot a small amount into the still running suction hose. Place the hose back at the entrance. Go get another cup of coffee. Repeat as necessary.
First, use a little care.
Yellowjackets start with one queen at the beginning of the year, the rest die during the winter. By the end of August the colony is generally about 1500. The fatal dose (assuming no allergies) is between 500 and 1000 for the average human. So, do the math!
Living in Virginia, I usually find one nest a year while mowing the lawn. I think they start in a mole tunnel then dig it out.
I kill them with soapy water. I set a couple five gallon pails of water and laundry soap near the hole, wait until dark, and pour it in. No risk like with gasoline or pesticides. I've never had this method fail, though I've sometimes had to do it a couple of times. It took a little nerve the first time, I thought they might wake and come flying out the hole, but that's never happened.

One can kill. Do the math.

That's an excellent idea. Begnign, too. I'll file that one away.
On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:

I've tried the sprays and other methods. The sprays all get soaked into the ground before they get to the nest, here anyway. Spraying with or trying to fill their hole(s) with water doesn't generally get rid of them either. Pouring, quite a bit of, gasoline or kerosene down the hole near or after dark and ingniting it from a safe distance works. Don't wait a half hour after pouing the gas though. The stuff will woomph all around you. You might just get singed.
On 9/4/2010 11:46 PM, lil abner wrote:

About a dozen people have suggested the 'cleansing fire' solution in this thread, just like all the times before when somebody has asked about the same problem. Just like before, it is a dumb idea, and can get you in trouble with the law for putting the ground water at risk. Doesn't matter if it works, the downside is too large.
I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more either.
--
aem sends...

On 9/4/2010 11:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow jackets??? You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.
lil abner wrote the following:

I guess he says the same about having an asphalt driveway on your property,
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

There is a law that says you cannot put gasoline into the ground and another that frowns heavily on arson.

Ask your local EPA droids or your fire marshal about that.
On 9/5/2010 1:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

uh..... arson? can't use gas or presumably anything to burn yellow jackets? You're not serious?

Ask your fire marshal about dumping gasoline on the ground and lighting it.

Right after you ask yer mommy if you can come out and play.
nb

You would think about your mommy, nutjob.

All day long, 24/7. She has alzheimers and I care for her.
nb
On 9/5/10 12:04 AM, lil abner wrote:

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will keep the heat away from the nest.
I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.

But why use gasoline at all when just some boring old bucket of soapy water could work. That way you also don't have to pinpoint with a great deal of accuracy the entry hole, either.
This worked for me, but the first time I was askeered and I think I poured it out too quickly (or ran before I quite finished - I was hardly well protected clothing-wise!). One more dousing the next night took care of the last few of them.
Keeping in mind that I doubt the nest was particularly large, either....
[snip]

You might've already answered these:
What's the ratio of soap and water?
Was there any particular type of soap you used or were the perameters "cheapest, largest?" {I currently have a drum of that Costco-inspired liquid soap; it doesn't really suds up nicely but it was cheap and I have a lot of it left still.)
What does the soapy water do to exterminate the nest?
Many thanks.
The Ranger