How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

Page 2 of 4
theres NO need to light the gasoline dumped down the hole the vapors kill the stinging beasts.
of course I mix roundup and poision ivy killer 50% 50% to kill posion ivy.
I tend to do what works!
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Don't know how to grind up a seven; Sevin(tm) is readily available afaik...
<http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 67494&CAWELAID9327346>

across Canada.
Might be available to a licenced pest exterminator, but I doubt it.
On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:

I've heard it is best to spray at night but I've done it many times in the day as sprayed yellow jackets are disoriented and don't get you.

They're not all home during the day, so even if you don't get stung you didn't do half the job.
On 9/4/2010 6:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Good point. I've seen some coming back the next day even but eventually they all disappear.

No, they just move their nest. ...likely somewhere else you don't want it.
On 9/4/2010 8:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not to belabor the point, but I believe that yellow jackets are like other bees and once you've wiped out their base and killed the queen, the drones just get lost.
On 9/5/2010 8:33 AM, Frank wrote:

that is what we need to do to the dems in november.
On 9/5/2010 10:49 AM, Red wrote:

Great analogy ;)
On 9/4/2010 11:16 AM, James wrote:

down it. Done.
--
Steve Barker

And what about his grass plant, that will be dead too.
Why do all of you assume there is a "hole" ???? Most likely, it is a big nest, built inside the sawgrass.
On 9/4/10 7:48 PM, James wrote:

it takes only a tablespoon of gasoline. Sometimes waiting until sunset has helped me locate holes, but papas grass could make it tough.
You could wait until dark and toss a piece of liver where you think the hole is. Liver attracts skunks. A skunk who finds the hole will destroy the nest.
Another trick is an electric bug zapper on a long pole. Stick it where you think the hole is and shake it until the yellow jackets attack it.
James wrote the following:

Because I had one in my compost heap. The entrance was right on top of the pile with what looked like a marbleized plastic spill around the hole. I saw the wasps entering and leaving the hole. Because mine was on top of a pile, I just dug it up with a pitch fork and destroyed it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/4/2010 6:48 PM, James wrote:

because yellow jackets nest IN the ground.
--
Steve Barker

Not always. They'll build typical wasp's nests, on buildings, trees, and such, too.
James wrote:

and they leave me alone. I have a nest under the eave of my porch. I don't mind them.
--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!

Why does this not surprise anyone?
On 9/4/2010 8:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'm mostly a live-and-let-live kind of guy too, and had no problems weeding the garden yesterday at the same time the buzzing things were harvesting nectar. And I have no problems if they live out back past the point where I bother to mow, or in the graveyard behind me, or in the drainage lot down the street etc. But I just came back in from spraying a nest in the usual spot in the front yard, where I need to mow tomorrow. (Not sure why they always pick That Spot year after year, unless they like how the moles pre-dig the hole for them.) I've accidentally run the mower over 'bee fountains' 3-4 times in the 5 years I've been here- even had them fly under my shirt and sting me. That is annoying enough that I feel no guilt about nuking nests that are on MY turf. All they gotta do is move a couple hundred feet in any direction, and they will get no grief from me.
Note that if you have anyone in the house with a history of anaphylactic (sp?) shock after bee stings, all bets are off. Epi pens aren't always enough.
--
aem sends...