Help or suggestions for killing wild Onions?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine. I live in the South if that is important. I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.
Any suggestions?
ERic
Eric Kent wrote:

If you choose to go the way of "chemical" treatments, using Broadleaf herbicides containing 2,4-D can give you results with repeat applications. But I believe for centipede and st Augustine grasses reduced label rates are recommended.
Lar
Eric Kent wrote:

I find that if I use a fork and/or shovel to loosen the soil where the wild onions are growing, I can pull them out. Then I lay the offenders on a rock in the sun for a week or so 'til they are too dry to grow.

sell them to taco bell?
Don wrote:

I've had good results using a concentrated, (~10%) solution of Roundup or similar applied with a sponge while wearing a rubber glove. You just grasp near base and slide the sponge along the onion in one motion. Of course this assumes you have a reasonable number to deal with.
Eric Kent wrote:

Don`t panic, the solution is simple. Round-up kills everything, it`s not what you want because it will kill your good grass. Use 24-D, commercially known as weed-B-gone. I`ts expensive as hell if you buy it retail. I recommend a company called Agri-Supply, it`s a third of the cost and you can hose down the entire lawn as it does`nt harm grass. It is a contact herbicide so the onion has to be up for it to be effective. Remember to thatch and re-seed when the onion dies. Eric Kent wrote:

No, no, no, that's a bad idea -- 2, 4-D should not be used on St. Augustine grass -- it'll kill it. St. Augustine is biologically much closer to a weed or crabgrass than it is to a conventional turf grass and herbicides that can be used on northern cool-weather turf shouldn't be used on St. Augustine..
If you're going to use a herbicide over your entire lawn -- something I'd suggest against, in any case -- read the label - all of it - in detail. You're likely to find that buried somewhere in the verbiage is a list of plants on which the chemical should NOT be used, and the list for many lawn chemicals (including those with 2,4 D) will include St. Augustine grass. It's hard to find a pesticide that effectively will kill weeds in your St. Augustine lawn. You're probably better off to spot treat where needed.
Incidentally, 2,4-D was 50% of the contents of Agent Orange, although the well-known problems with AO probably came from other dioxins in the mix --
Regards --
JimR wrote:

Not to mention that he's wrong that it's very expensive and of much use against wild onions, which are very difficult to kill compared to a typical broadleaf weed.

Yes, and the dioxin that has been outlawed for 20 years or more. Don't cornfuse them with the facts, Trader. :)
--
Happy Holidays