Help or suggestions for killing wild Onions?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine. I live in the South if that is important. I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

Any suggestions?

ERic

Reply to
Eric Kent

If you choose to go the way of "chemical" treatments, using Broadleaf herbicides containing 2,4-D can give you results with repeat applications. But I believe for centipede and st Augustine grasses reduced label rates are recommended.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

I find that if I use a fork and/or shovel to loosen the soil where the wild onions are growing, I can pull them out. Then I lay the offenders on a rock in the sun for a week or so 'til they are too dry to grow.

Reply to
Stubby

sell them to taco bell?

Reply to
Don

I've had good results using a concentrated, (~10%) solution of Roundup or similar applied with a sponge while wearing a rubber glove. You just grasp near base and slide the sponge along the onion in one motion. Of course this assumes you have a reasonable number to deal with.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
MANIC_D

Reply to
MANIC_D

No, no, no, that's a bad idea -- 2, 4-D should not be used on St. Augustine grass -- it'll kill it. St. Augustine is biologically much closer to a weed or crabgrass than it is to a conventional turf grass and herbicides that can be used on northern cool-weather turf shouldn't be used on St. Augustine..

If you're going to use a herbicide over your entire lawn -- something I'd suggest against, in any case -- read the label - all of it - in detail. You're likely to find that buried somewhere in the verbiage is a list of plants on which the chemical should NOT be used, and the list for many lawn chemicals (including those with 2,4 D) will include St. Augustine grass. It's hard to find a pesticide that effectively will kill weeds in your St. Augustine lawn. You're probably better off to spot treat where needed.

Incidentally, 2,4-D was 50% of the contents of Agent Orange, although the well-known problems with AO probably came from other dioxins in the mix --

Regards --

Reply to
JimR

Not to mention that he's wrong that it's very expensive and of much use against wild onions, which are very difficult to kill compared to a typical broadleaf weed.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, and the dioxin that has been outlawed for 20 years or more. Don't cornfuse them with the facts, Trader. :)

Reply to
Steveo