Onions

I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks? back (u.s. zone 10) They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what to do different next time?

Reply to
Mike

Did you have a frost?

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

"Mike" wrote in news:NMHVj.16428$Au2.3398@trnddc07:

How much water have they gotten? Most plants (not sure about onions, first time growing them) don't like to be too wet or too dry. A little bit of water (rain counts!) once or twice a week is likely all they need.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Theres never any frost here in Socal zone 10

Mike

I don't think they were over or under watered, though we had a couple of heat blasts over a few days during the past 2 months.

I think I'll germinate them in starter trays next time so they grow a bit before ground planing.

Reply to
Mike

You killed onions? I didn't know it was possible. I pull them, and slice them and dice them, and they still come back from the compost pile (like in the Sorcerer's Apprentice). Try you coax them back by keeping the ground moist (not wet). By all means, plan for the worst and start more onions but you may want to give that time to the first planting to recover.

Reply to
Billy

after growing all through the winter. Onions are cold-season crops, they go dormant when it gets hot in the Summer. I suggest you plant your onions in late fall :)

Reply to
Paulo da Costa