garden lawn problem

Hi
I moved in to a new house - the builders gardeners levelled my front lawn with top soil and sowed the area with grass. This was in sept - the grass has a fair coverage although it is not 100 dense yet and no doubt the spring will help that. The problem is - the area is like a marsh. if you stand on you sink an inch or so. It is like it is just soil.
Will it sort over the spring as more grass spreads or do I need to take action now ?
David

as it's not a drainage problem.
I agree. Actually it could be a very good thing if they used quality top soil and it's deep, new and just not compacted much. I'd much rather have that than some hard compacted base. Besides drainage, the other issues I'd keep an I on is how much it settles relative to other fixed parts of the landscape, eg sidewalks, driveways, etc. And watch out for any areas that are noticeably lower/higher than others, as these things can be fixed easier before the grass gets established.
Thanks all,
My only concern is that we have walked on a few spots that are now a little uneven. I take it as the roots take I can stamp it level a little ?
David

David Cleland wrote:

Sounds like the subsoil hasn't been compacted. Probably very good quality topsoil with a lot of organic matter. As was said before, watch for excess settling. You might try rolling it. If you left impressions just from walking on it, I think you need a good experienced turf dude to look at and evaluate the lawn. I've seen and repaired situations where the soil settled up to a foot in a year. Depends on the subsoil structure. What part of the country are you in?
I am in Northern Ireland - so that won't be much help to many :) I have flatted the foot prints as best I can. It was good top soil and it was only put down in Sept and although is visibly green it is not at all dense.
Around the edges are pretty solid so I am hoping this will move towards the center rather than it being soft for life.
The grass is not strong yet and the impression I am getting from your replies is that the roots may sort things out in the spring?
I think I will leave it until April time and if it is not settled I will get the gardener back -we did pay for the lawn and if we are left with something the kids can not play on we need to get them back for re-evaluation.
I have so much to learn........
David

I'd also test the soil now for PH. It's fairly common for new topsoil like you have to be low in PH and require lime. If needed, you could put that down now so it will have time to work over the winter. And make sure to apply fertilizer in early spring to get it off to a good and fast start.

crabgrass preventer first thing, if you still have seed germinating, or young seedlings growing. It will prevent germination, and stunt tender seedlings.
Good luck.
stay off the soil until it dries out ... then you can fill in the divots. then in the spring when it warms up you can add more seed. the grass/lawn takes a good year or two to really fill in.